Newton Lake 3/29 -4/1. - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newton Lake 3/29 -4/1.

I headed to Newton at 4:45am Tuesday from Tinley for some warm weather Bassin. I was on the water around 8:30 after checking out hot side ramp. I stopped over here to check water clearity and ask someone for water temp. reading at the dock when they were launching and to get a little info on watertemps and fishing throughout the lake if they fished the day before.This is the main ramp and usually had about 20 -30 trailers in parking lot by mid morning. I then headed over to new remote coldside ramp where there was an average of 5-8 trailers mid morning. Temps on hot side were in mid/upper 70's by discharge to 62 at ramp.Cold side temps were pretty constant through the week around 55.7. This told me bass were spawning or just finished spawning on hotside and were probably a week or two from spawning on coldside. Enough with my tips. I fished for the big gals on the coldside all days(only can use trolling motor because of 25hp limit) except for 1 evening on warmside.I fished 2 long days and 2 half days.I did come back for a evening(5-8pm) after a nap and a brief recharge after battling 30 mph winds all morning (5:30-1pm)- I thought I might be able to get a nice topwater bite(buzzers)for some big slackers who were late for a date on main lake or just inside coves on hotside in the evening.I also wanted to see what was happening on the hot side also. I caught probably 8-10 nice fish every day with 2 nice keepers a day(over 18 inches- maybe 4lb or above) but could have probably caught twice that amount if I threw small plastics or fished the hotside but I came to Newton to fish for BIG Fish ! Best bite was a spinnerbait and most times I had 4 tied on to good quality rods with all of them with 15 lb test. Spinnerbaits were best on windy banks but were useless in coves or calm water.I also did well in last 1.5 hour of trip on Friday with heavy weedless tubes in mid depth brushpiles(you can figure out where fishermen plant them- best ones are just outside where they should be or on good night fishing banks). That was my best run on fish with a 4 lb. and a very solid 5 lber in about 10 minutes along with a few dinks(14 inchers). They came in the middle of a pocket and a nice little main lake point- might have done something with the low winds at this time. There were a some BIG Fish caught ths week with several 6 and 7's reported me from the few regular Spring weekday fishermen I know by face. I went for 2 days and stayed for 3 1/2, but I had a feeling I would stay longer than 2 days even though weathermen were predicting Tornados etc. NEVER believe the Weatherman, they could not even predict from the evening news to the same evening or next morning winds and temps. I really believe they just get National weather report for area and read it. They kept saying Severe thunderstorms coming 4 pm then 6 pm, I looked up in the sky and it was almost completely Blue. It did rain hard later that evening when I was sleeping. I would rate the fishing at Newton at just fair for Bass this past week but should get beter. Roy
basscaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Keep up the good info Roy if I do say so myself !
Old 04-03-2005, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

how long of a ride is it from tinley to newton ?
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I headed to Newton at 4:45am Tuesday from Tinley for some warm weather Bassin. I was on the water around 8:30
Do the math.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2005, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would say 3 1/2 hours going 70 mph. Its 210 miles from I-80/ I-57 to the ramp.I take rte 121 a few miles south of Mattoon to turnoff to the lake. I stopped at Steak/Shake in Mattoon for breakfast and took off my cover and took out the rods while they cooked up my burgers. Newtoon is a good quality bass lake like Sara ,Coffeen or Sangchris etc etc.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Did you stay at the new lodge near the lake??
MrBSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

No,NI am poor and have been unemployed(Construction) for last 8 weeks except for a side job or two. I saw the new Cabins from the road and it looked very nice Steve. I stayed in Newton, I like the old creepy motel with the nice old owners and there usually a few fishermen there to talk to after getting back from Fishing. I can't believe you stay at that nice place after that motel I saw you stayed at in Effingham(tiny double decker) last Memorial day weekend. You must have been promoted at work or got a expense account ? ? ? What is the price for a single? Double at the Sportsmanlodge ? Do you get a meal with that ? It sure would be nice not to have to drive the 20 miles each way to Newton. I miss those private reports you use to send me.As always anything you need to know- just e-mail me. Roy
Old 04-07-2005, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

The cabins are a hundred bucks a night and you cook your own meals.Same price for one or two fisherman..I always get someone to split it with so it brings the price down to 50 a night..I was paying about 35 a night at the Abe Lincon in Effingham..with the price of gas now I am saving a 40 mile round trip back and forth to Effingham and at least an hour of fishing time every day. How much is your time worth to you??
You can make arrangements with the owners and they will have your meals at the cabin for you when you get off the water if you want.

I just bring my own steaks and throw them on the grill after a day of fishing. Each cabin also has a fully equipped kitchen if you want to do more than grilling..Each cabin also has a laundry room and electrical hook up's right outside for you to recharge the batteries at the end of the day..
Ohhh did I mention the hot tub?? All this for 50 bucks each a night for two guys. For me it's a no brainer..
IMHO I dont think you can get a better deal for the money than at the new Outdoor sportsmans Lodge..
The owner also fishes and guides on the lake a few times a week and he will put you on the fish if you just ask him..His name is Tab Walker
MrBSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in