lake bloomington report - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default lake bloomington report

hey there everyone, im new to the boards but thought i would submit a report....

i went to lake bloomington yesterday, caught a 5-6 lb. bass....check the pic out..... and geez, those small stripers are almost annoying...i caught about 20 of them

on another note....how is the fishing in the mackinaw river? if its good, where is it? i was thinking about renting a canoe and going up it...but i cant find a map or anything....

thanx in advance...

[/img]
mufugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to reelman2 Send a message via MSN to reelman2 Send a message via Yahoo to reelman2

Nice fish! Your right, Lake Bloomington does have a ton of those yellow bass. They will drive you nuts pestering and stealing bait. But if you suffer through them, there are some nice fish in the lake to be caught.
The Mackinaw can have some decent fishing in it. But like any smaller river, it varies from area to area. Just have to put some time in and find the deepr holes that hold fish. The second part of the problem with fishing the Mackinaw (from shore anyway) is finding areas to fish that aren't private property. There is a state fish and wildlife area just outside the town of Mackinaw that is pretty nice and supposed to have some ok smallmouth fishing if you like to wade.
As far as WHERE the Mackinaw river is, it starts a bit north of Lexington I believe and flows near lake bloomington and evergreen, winds its way past the town of Mackinaw, and eveventuallympties into the IL river just south of Pekin. Get a Mclean,Woodford, or Tazwell county map and you cant miss it.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

whew.....greenie fishing I was worried the cat was about to be let out of the bag limit there.... great fish. yellow bass ....mmmm mmmmm good.
side of drum and some onion rings mmm mmmm..

hey reelman want to head out wed or thurs? I know a secret.

hows that girlfriend?
pop yet?

Old 04-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default nice

real nice bass.........them yellows..took a few home a couple years ago to try them after ice fishing; cleaned em up;had em soaking in some beer in the fridge and when I got home from work the ol lady said those were some mighty fine tasting crappie,Now when I catch em I keep a couple of those other "crappie"
fooman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to reelman2 Send a message via MSN to reelman2 Send a message via Yahoo to reelman2

Hey Blu,
We were just talking about where we wanted to try tomorrow (wed). Was figuring on going somewhere with the boat. Had almost thought about heading to Shelbyville, but is quite the drive if nothing seems to be biting good down there. (can sit and not catch fish closer to home just as easily) LOL

Got an appointment on thursday but might be able to get free in the afternoon/evening sometime. Otherwise am off work at 4pm each day.
Can't resist a good secret.....

As far as the girlfriend, she is doing good. Found out the little one will be a girl. Due sometime around middle of august.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Fishing was pretty good

Crappie were in the sticks and weeds this week. My wife and I had good fortune Monday-Wednesday catching a lot of small males in the wood on a float and jig, while casting out for the larger females with roadrunners. Wednesday the females were still suspending in the coves and on the points. Still a lot of small males but kept 15 nice 10" to 13" for supper. I don't know about a lot of men and their perferences of who they fish with, but my "lady" can catch fish with the best of them. She's has the boat launched and fish in the livewell when I meet her on the lake after work. Hopefully, she continues to pick me up after work. Anyway, I hope the cold front doesn't shut the fishing totally down.

Bench
Bench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Many popped their spawn with the fiirst rain. catching very few in a day over 8in. Most guys I have seen out so far have no technique so the fish are pretty safe. So bench I just show up at the launch say at 3 and she is alreadey wet and ready? Who cleans the catch?

Old 04-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Cleaning the catch

I imagine you know who cleans the catch. And I don't mind it as long as she continues to pick me up at the dock as she has done for the last 25 years.
Sounds like this next week is going to be a cool one with wet weather. I'ts a bummer for sure right in the midst of spawning.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

We know who catches the bigger Walleyes also.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2005, 07:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default The Secrets Out

Well the secret is out! I guess you know what boat to wait for around 3pm each sunny day at the dock if you want to catch walleye during the summer. She is a jigging spoon walleye fisherman for sure. But she's says she needs me as a guide (I look at it as someone that runs the trolling motor). I am thankful I am needed and still have a seat reserved for me in the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in