lake bloomington report 5-12-05 - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

why not?

My mom and great aunt fought a battle with the local library when I was about 8 because kids were only allowed in the dumb donkey Dick and Jane area. It wasn't resolved so much over rights as the fact that my great aunts were large benefactors to the library. But if you deny the existence of the commonplace to your children, where do you expect them to function in society? I will support your efforts if you want to blow up televisions but in the beginning there was the word. Speech should be unabridged.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Do you think you can say anything. anywhere. anytime?

There are all kinds of thing in the world today that I am protecting my nine year old from. It not because I am naive. It's because its what good Dad's do.

Do you think this site should allow anybody to use any words they want?

By the way it does not.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to fish chef

Just to set the record straight, Mr. F^&ger isn't "saying" anything. He isn't in a movie theater yelling obscenities. I looked up his other posts and there is nothing to hint at his attempting to be rude or crude. A few others on this site are far more offensive without using expletives. I think most of us can agree it isn't an ideal name to use on an "ethical" website. We haven't yet heard his response to all of this. The only thing I would say to him about this, is ask him if he could come up with an equally witty name without vulgar undertones. If not, I wouldn't think about it again. In the grand theme of things, this is pretty minor. Asking someone to be respectful of others feelings is not censorship, forcing them to change may be. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah...I told myself I wouldn't get caught up in stuff like this, 'cause it's tough to et off my "high-horse".

Remember, his name may be Murray Fuggerski!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 12:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

By the way, "cow propellar head guy", that is a pretty cool avatat!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

By the way, "cow propellar head guy", that is a pretty cool avatar!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

wow.....i've been without internet for a few days, and came back and saw this, didnt really think it would offend anyone, but if it does i could go ahead and change my username.....im over it...its not a big deal if i keep the name at all.....
i've used it on many other forums and never had a problem before....sorry to offend lovetofish
mufugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

But what about your right to free speach? I commend you on your reply. Its simple, someone had what they saw as a valid request and M_____ er complied. Thank you M_____er . Please be sure to post what you change your name too.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Kudos to M*****er! I could tell from your previous posts that you were a reasonable person. Its nice to see that some people still care about what may or may not offend others. One thing I've noticed is, that it is usually the offended person being the most confrontational. Many people here like to lecture others. Others are just downright rude, an example would be a person with a d and an x in there name (do your homework). Sounds like I'm lecturing here, but one thing we should all consider is, "how does my post read, since people can't hear the inflection or tone in my voice'. If we were more sensitie to that, this would be a much more postive site.

Don't forget to post your new name, Mr. Fu**er! So I can look forward to your posts.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Freedom of speech has gotten us an internet full of X-rated sites. What's the benefit there?

Shouldn't I also have the right to not be bombarded by profanity, subtle or flagrant? If not me, shouldn't my children have that right? I can put filters on my cable. I can put filters on my computer. But if I'm a subscriber to a site that boosts famly viewing and values, what filters can be applied to keep things I don't want my children to see?

Freedom of speech is a right. Freedom from vulgarity should be also.

When I first say the name I wondered how long it would last.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2005, 08:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

When I first SAW the name I wondered how long it would last.

The Preview function is your friend. I should use it.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in