MILL CREEK LAKE , Marshall IL - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default MILL CREEK LAKE , Marshall IL

Fished Mill Creek last weekend..,,,large mouth hitting on spinner baits and rapala rattletraps...nothing over 3 lbs, brother upset they introduced muskie to this quiet little lake--- no Muskie caught though.... lots of spots to fish.....4 hrs from Chicago

http://www.clarkcountyparkdistrict.com/ ... hframe.htm
CHUM BUCKET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

its to bad your brother is mad about that, from what i read the musky should be pushing over 42 inches now. they were stocked to help fight the over abundundant shad and bluegill population. there are now four different year class stockings and those usually skip a year. so you are looking at a minimum of eight years or more of musky stockings. i would bet in the long run you will see bass size increase and bluegill and shad numbers come down. channel cats were also stocked starting in 1996 and they grow big also. i have caught my biggest smallmouth and largemouth while muskie fishing so i dont believe that muskies negatively impact a lake. even a small lake like shabbona that is a prime musky lake produces some huge bass each year.
muskygun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

My brother is a basshead who believes the Bass will no longer be the top predator fish at Mill Creek....Probably true, but how it affects the Bass, who knows.... He's all about catch/release and artificial lures-- I asked him about getting some walleye at Mill Creek- he asked where the restaurant was!!!
He use to run Bass tournies on the Chain-

Right now I'm trying to check out the lake trout season in the Chicago harbors....stay w/ the glow spoons??
CHUM BUCKET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Crossed another previously good lake off my list.
Muskie goofs fishing the standing timber with 400lb spider
wire will be enough to dampen the crappie spirits.
Lake always had great catfishing. It was also your alternative lifestyles/jetski hangout last I was there.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

well at least they are not snakeheads like in potomac.
muskygun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

From my observations, I feel that bass are easier to catch on lakes with muskie/pike. When the bass have to compete for their food and also worry about becoming food themselves, I think it makes them much more opportunistic feeders. Unless it is a farm pond, I don't much care for lakes where bass are the apex predator. JMO
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
bt

I learned how to bass fish down south, and catching musky on weedlines in the summer is fun on 8 lb test, but being a bass fisherman I don't really care for it. I'm probably doing more harm any way fighting a musky in 90F water thinking it's a catfish and letting it build up lactic acid. I do need to change the way I fish where there are high populations of teethy ctitters. Plus they're slimy and smell my boat carpet up. No respect for them from me. They do not need to be stocked where they can't support their own population, talk about a waste of money. Illinois has a problem at putting their priorities in the right spot, anybody remember how good the fishing at Shelbeyville used to be... EXACTLY. Just my 2Cents. I don't hate musky but it's a waste of state dollars, that the state says it already doesn't have.
bt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in