giant city ponds - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default giant city ponds

went out yesterday for the first time and fished 4 of the many ponds in giant city state park, always seen them but never looked like much to fish, well did it yesterday and fished 4 small ponds in bout 4 hours and caught roughly somewhere round 50 bass give or take, nothing big, biggest one was 16 inches, and rest averaged 8 to 12 inches dont think there are many big ones in there but lotta small ones, was fishing a 3.5" strike king tube texas rigged and they were just hammering it, and used the x-rap a few times, overall had fun yesterday, then went back today couldnt catch nothing had three hits but no fish, kept changing it up today with different lures nothing was working, just an off day today
wallize84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice job Wallize84. I found those ponds when I was down there at SIU a few years ago and couldn't believe the action as well as the size of those bass in those small ponds. You found a gold mine that most people don't know about. It's pretty cool to just walk around and find another pond. The best part was that it was quiet, nobody around and running into a deer or 2 as well as seeing and hearing the turkeys. Do you go to SIU?
JohnN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2006, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

yep im a jr at siu, and ive been fishing the lake, its been alright went out yesterday before giant city and fished all the bays back on greek row and caught 13 couple 2lbers, and got a begginer out their with me who is my friend and showed him the ropes showed him how to texas rig and use jigs he caught 3 and he had a blast, love teaching new people bought fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here is a hot tip from an ex saluki, try fishing the SIU ponds, there are located on the SIU AG farms just south of campus. Big Bass
Scattermaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

hey scattermaster only i fish the siuc campus lake and i know the siu ag farms but where are the ponds how many, how big and can you access them legally,
Old 05-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

We fished three different ponds, all had great fish. Not sure of the roads there off, its been 10years, when I was in school student were allowed to fish. I suggest doing a google map for the SIU campus, and switching to satelite imaging, you should be able to see the ponds, just have to know where the ag farms are.
Scattermaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2006, 10:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

you probably had no luck today because u caught them all yesterday
fishman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

alright thanks scattermaster gonna have to check it out, but the only thin is im leaving school on friday for the summer so might not get to fish them this year, but thanks for the info
Old 06-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

i spent 5 years down there and never heard anything about those ponds. I just looked it up on the sat photos...looks like they're pretty well hidden. I'll have to let one of my friends who's still there know about those ponds. I wonder if the campus police would even know you were there!? I do miss all of the lakes down there!
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

i go to SIU and ive heard that those ag farms are good but i still have no idea where they are. i mostly fished the campus lake and some crab orcahrd. Thinks someone can pm me where those ag ponds actually are? I got a car for this year so i cant wait to go try differnt places.
bass2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in