» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central / Southern Illinois (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   clinton lake / salt creek report (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45382)

striperking 04-16-2007 09:37 AM

clinton lake / salt creek report

woke up early friday morning to begin the the long trek to clinton lake for some striper fishin, i arrived about 11:00 am and headed strait for the minnow mart on rt 54 in dewitt and just as i thought the place looks great, it's clean has a good selection of baits and tackle, camping gear. and a staff that has a combined 60 plus years of experience on the lake. after talking to the owners jim and wayne the told me that they had been catching fish all over the lake and the salt creek was producing some big stripers, so i headed for the creek to see what i could get. i managed to get 4 hybrids in the boils of the spilllway ranging from 2 to 4 pounds on crawfish tail meat and when they slowed down on the crawfish i casted a 1/4 ounce neon pink jig and 4 inch white twister and hooked into 2 more hybrids both coming in at just over 5 pounds. the rest of the trip however was spoiled due to cold temps, rain and high winds on sat made it tough to fish so i got skunked the final two day's of the trip. hope to try again real soon looks like the weather is going to get better. :)2 no pics to post this time, forgot to grab the camera. we did try the lake for about 2 hours on sunday and managed two lrg mouth about 12 to 14 inch and some gill but the weather had slowed things down a bit. well good luck everyone and tight lines. :-D

fishead 04-16-2007 06:00 PM

Thanks for the report ; I'm headed down there this weekend with the Arlington anglers club for four days of fishing. All of my fishing will be done from my boat looking to hit the crappie's. Well maybe a little striper and walleye fishing.

crayphish 04-16-2007 09:00 PM

we're headed down the weekend after next for crappies as well. leave some for us, or bring back good reports! good luck!!

striperking 04-16-2007 10:37 PM

no poblem guy's, make sure to check out the 48 and 54 bridge both had been producing decent crappie some reports of 10 to 12 inch close to shore on med minnows if not hitting there check out the guy's at minnow mart and i promise they will know where to get em, as for stripers try the spillway at salt creek and bring some cooked crawfish tail meat and get up into the boils in the spillway and that should get you some nice stripers and dont forget the jigs and twisters they are a must. well good luck and please post you're trip.

crayphish 04-17-2007 11:54 AM

glad to hear that the dewitt bait shop is in better shape than last year. got a number? hopefully the weather will stay warm as it sounds like the crappie are still off the first drop.

striperking 04-18-2007 11:46 PM

dewitt bait shop

the phone # is 217-935-8012 ask for jim or wayne and if not there dave is the guy to talk to, tight lines

crayphish 04-20-2007 12:55 AM

i want to have a few different options open to us next weekend, so we may hit the spillway if the lake fish dont cooperate or the weather is crappy? where did you get the craw tails? shrimp should work as well? weather out one week doesnt look promising. hopefully theyre way off.

fishead 04-22-2007 04:19 PM

jUST GOT HOME FROM CLINTON LAKE; fishing was slow, got on the water at 10am thursday and ran to the dewit bridge. Marked all kinds of fish but they had lock jaw. Ran to the next bridge and same thing , lots of fish on the finder but only 1 wanted to comit suiside. Weather was cold and windy. Friday was beautifull , the west end warmed up from 51 to 58 so we stayed on the west end and fished stick-ups with poor results. Finely found a patteren around noon, fish were with in 3ft of shore off the main lake, near to deep water. Caught a bunch of short crappie, lg mouths, drum, gills, and small stripers, kept 6 crappie. Saterday every thing changed , crappie were a little deeper in or near the mouth of the coves, again had to work for them only 2 keepers @10in. Went out Sunday and was blown off by 11 am . Talked to a lot people , and we did better than most. Bass fisher man all over the lake , some toury going on. Water was stained to muddy. Met striperkings relatives, but shop was busy so I didn't stay long , nice shop, I almost didn't recognize it. Side note; a guy who was staying at the same motel , said fishing had been good till thursday, he had a cooler full of crappie filet's. Figures.

crayphish 04-22-2007 10:17 PM

no fish in the coves just yet egh? hmm. this week is going to play out much like last week with a cold front thursday. maybe the rains will pull them in if it stays warm.

fishead 04-24-2007 12:06 AM

I looked at my boat today; I can't beleive how dirty it is , was clean and shiney when I left. The mud line in the lake left every thing with a coating on it. Maybe the dirty water had something to do with catching fish.