B-ing in the Fog-E. - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Never found deep to be true. I'll go shallow. Late ice crappie can be just under the ice. Might head out for quick one tonight or definitely tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

If I smell them brats, Im a gonna be coming. Slight chance of getting down there for a few hours before I pick up my mom in Secor. If anything, I will at least come by meet you Thad. What area on the main lake?

later
Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think they are just to the right of the traditional boat crappie spot under the high lines headed out from white oak launch. I unfortunately will be bass fishing.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

"Never found deep to be true."
You are much too set in your ways Blu !!

The deep water is 4 or 5 degrees warmer than the shallow water and coves. A couple of my friends and I have caught over 150 crappies in 2 and half days of fishing and we are not fishing shallower than 30 foot of water. I have been taking temperature readings with a thermometer out there under the ice for the past 5 years. Deep water (30+) will be 36-37 degrees compared to water that is 20 some foot of water or less only being 33-34 degrees. A couple degrees might not make a difference to you and I but it could mean the difference between life and death to a cold blooded fish. That is why you see fish with their heads right up against wood or concrete during early season cold fronts. With all factors being relatively equal (O2, food, ect.) a fish will pick comfort and relate to the warmer or cooler (depending on the time of year) water.

Labman,
Yesterday the grill was rockin with maple & cheddar brats, marinated venison backstraps, and butterflied venison loin. The deer meat was cooked medium rare and was as tender and tasty as any cut of meat off any animal anywhere. Venison is amazingly good !!!
THinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Wondering if that was you by the edge of the big flat? Saw maybe 3 shacks and a bunch of dudes huddled up. As if a pile of backstraps had just been cooked......

How did you do? Any Eyes?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yep that was us ... Where were you at ??
How did you do ??

You know, I have not been able to crack the saugeye through the ice code on E. I have not heard of anyone that can go out there and catch them consistently. We've caught a few here and there under the ice, but never been able to target and catch 'em and never caught one that was over the 14" size under the ice. All the saugeye that I have heard caught were all caught "accidently" while an angler was catching gills or crappies.
It has been making me crazy for the past few years. I feel like I can catch those fish from ice out to ice up, but not through the ice.
To add to the plot - I have yet to ever have a flag pop on a tip-up at Evergreen. I do really well on pike & a few walleye on tip-ups in Wisconsin. I fished Banner one day with tip-ups. Got 16 flags, caught 12 bass that were 2.5 to almost 6 pounds and a catfish. I fished 1 day on Dawson and caught a bass on a tip-up .. and fished 1 day on Bloomington - got 2 flags, one dropped the minnow and the other was a couple pound white bass.

The weather looks pretty good this week, so I am going to see if my youngest daughter wants to get out a few times these evenings.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

I was just passing by before I went to Secor for mom and figured you might be by the flat. The GF and I fished a 17 acre lake by our place early sunday morning with another couple. Pulled lots of gills and crappie but no big fish.

I am thinking of coming down again soon (this week?). I might grab my buddys gas auger if I do though. My 8 inch blades are getting dull for thick ice. Let me know if you have a day you can hit E for a late afternoon and into the night outing. I will bring my tip ups and we can figure something out. I will blow a vacation day if its a Monday or Friday.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Labman,
I can make it out for a few hours this afternoon / evening if you'd want.

Also, I have an auger ... no need to get your buddy's.

Just let me know what you think ...

Thad
Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thats a bit too soon for me to get down there. Im in the Utica area and work in Bolingbrook. Im going to see what day I can take off. Wednesday, I have to meet a dude at BPS at 5pm. Maybe Thursday or Friday?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

I live real close to the lake and can fish at a moment's notice - So just check your schedule and let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in