» CLF Sponsors
Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports

Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Central / Southern Illinois (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Carlyle Tournament and Spillway Fishing (https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87081)

connor1196 05-12-2014 08:22 PM

Carlyle Tournament and Spillway Fishing
 
Well I got back from the state tournament at Carlyle Lake yesterday. To start off, I don't like Lake Carlyle. That's just me though. There was only about an inch of visibility in the water and to make things worse we didn't catch any bass. Still a lot of fun and an awesome thing the IHSA is doing. I consider myself lucky that I got to go. Since we weren't catching any bass we decided to make the best of the trip and fish the spillway below the dam. We were using in-line spinners the whole time and caught fish every time we went down there. We immediately started catching white bass. They weren't big but they put up quite a fight. I made a cast and then felt dead weight on my line. After a few minute fight I pull in an 8lb asian carp. Later that day I got an even bigger one.
Here's the bigger one:
http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichos.../19lb_carp.BMP
Now don't get me wrong, I hate these fish as much as the next guy but it was super fun catching it on a ML rod and 10lb test line. It took me about 6 1/2 minutes to get in and almost spooled me. Once I got it in I had people that were watching me take pictures of me because that was the biggest fish they've ever seen anybody catch.
We went back the next day and were catching the usual white bass. I had a gar take my spinner four times. On the fifth time I finally got him in. It was also the first gar I had ever caught, and he put up a **** of a fight.
http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichos.../20393/gar.BMP
The last notable thing I caught was a one-eyed crappie that I snagged through the back.
http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichos...ed_crappie.BMP
Even though we didn't catch any bass, it was a great time and I wish I wasn't a senior so I'd be able to go again.

RonG 05-12-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connor1196 (Post 557089)


The last notable thing I caught was a one-eyed crappie that I snagged through the back.
http://www.chitown-angler.com/pichos...ed_crappie.BMP
.

Well I guess he didn't see it coming. :lol:

Nice catches.

blufloyd 05-12-2014 11:28 PM

I went down in late seventies to the Carlyle spill in Feb. got glazed over by ice they had gates open for spring drawdown. Thank you beer guys for those kind of days when I drank.
It was ugly and scary. No fish either I think.




Paul S 05-13-2014 05:28 AM

Sorry you didn't have a better tournament Connor.

While I applaud the IHSA for adding Bass Fishing as a sport, they continue to make some poor decisions. Why Carlyle? Why pick a lake so far south in the state? Something like 50% of all the HSs in the state are north of I 80 yet they schedule the final in a lake 4 + hours south. Plus, it is not that great of a lake. A centralized lake such as Shelbyville, Clinton, Springfield or Mill Creek should be the site every year.

connor1196 05-13-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pswitzer (Post 557209)
. A centralized lake such as Shelbyville, Clinton, Springfield or Mill Creek should be the site every year.

I agree that all those would have been better places. Carlyle is more known for it's crappie fishing more than anything. They should have held the tournament at a lake known for its bass fishing.

Paul S 05-13-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connor1196 (Post 557249)
I agree that all those would have been better places. Carlyle is more known for it's crappie fishing more than anything. They should have held the tournament at a lake known for its bass fishing.

Unfortunately, the IHSA doesn't put quality of fishery as a very high priority when picking a lake. Yes, launch facilities, adjoining pavilions, and nearby lodging are important but so is the fishing. Do they still fish Tampier?

FishArt 05-13-2014 12:57 PM

I don't have a problem with where the State tourney was held - as long as that location rotates every year to help limit any advantage gained by being familiar with the area. Otherwise, if it were centrally located every year out of convenience, then those schools that reside in Central Illinois would have an on-going advantage!

Now, maybe the lake choice wasn't great. But, there may be logistical reasons for that tourney location - volunteers and a volunteering host school would play a big part into that equation I would bet. You have to have the people willing to run the show regardless of where that show is! Plus, in reality tough fishing replicates the real world of fishing! Those thunderstorms would have impacted you anywhere you fished!

Also, just a clarification Connor - don't thank the IHSA, thank your coaches and all the parents that volunteered! All the IHSA did was collect their fees for utilizing their name, structure and holding the event. Which, believe me - wouldn't be an event IF numerous volunteers/coaches/parents didn't step up and do all the legwork!

bassboy15 05-13-2014 05:10 PM

Too bad about no bass but nice other fish anyway. Still good job for making state. Hopefully my school will be able to fish there next year too.

goosefool1 05-14-2014 04:36 AM

I was at the tournament as well as a boater for Sandwich boat #2. I am also not a fan of this lake for several reasons and this was my first time ever on the lake. 1. The bass fishing is OK, there are way better lakes.2. Location, I agree with pswitzer. 3. Safety, we were out on Thur and it was flat DANGEROUS!!!! Fri got a little hairy but nothing like Thur. We could easily rotate this tournament around to other lakes that offer better fishing, are safer, and have all the logistics that Carlyle has if not better.

connor1196 05-15-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goosefool1 (Post 557441)
\Safety, we were out on Thur and it was flat DANGEROUS!!!! Fri got a little hairy but nothing like Thur.

With as much as the IHSA was saying how seriously they take safety, you would think that they'd scrap Lake Carlyle. Thursday was extremely dangerous. Luckily we had a boat that could easily handle those condition, but me and my partners lost our balance quite a few times and almost fell into the water. Last year they had to cancel the second day because it was too dangerous. The part that gets me is that the IHSA knows it's a dangerous lake, that's why we had that long presentation about safety at the banquet, yet they continue to ignore that fact and keep holding the tournament there.

FishArt 05-15-2014 02:44 PM

One thing I don't think the IHSA got right was the ability to cull:

-Teams can catch a maximum of five fish per day, which they store in their boat’s live well. After catching five fish, a team can continue to fish and try to replace fish already in their live wells with larger catches.

Increased released fish mortality is the reason why every other fisher-person in Illinois has to abide by our laws and culling is illegal in Illinois. Why do the IHSA folks get an exemption? Isn't that sending the wrong message? Plus, I think it takes far more strategy by not allowing culling. You need to be pretty sure you're going to be able to catch another keeper after deciding to toss back that 5th fish...

connor1196 05-15-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pswitzer (Post 557257)
Do they still fish Tampier?

No, thank god for that. I don't know where they got the idea to have even one tournament there.

Paul S 05-15-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connor1196 (Post 557761)
With as much as the IHSA was saying how seriously they take safety, you would think that they'd scrap Lake Carlyle. Thursday was extremely dangerous. Luckily we had a boat that could easily handle those condition, but me and my partners lost our balance quite a few times and almost fell into the water. Last year they had to cancel the second day because it was too dangerous. The part that gets me is that the IHSA knows it's a dangerous lake, that's why we had that long presentation about safety at the banquet, yet they continue to ignore that fact and keep holding the tournament there.

I thought I read that Carlyle was going to be the location for 5 years. Any big, wide body of water can turn ugly with wind. Places like Shelbyville or Mill Creek which have lots of coves and creeks are much better to fish in the wind since you can find more places to get out of the wind. I wonder who they consult when they make their decisions.

FishArt 05-15-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connor1196 (Post 557793)
No, thank god for that. I don't know where they got the idea to have even one tournament there.

Convenience I'm sure along with Geography! The IHSA again is geographically driven through the Sectional level. And it will always be that way.

Reading more about Carlyle and talking to a couple of our local (Minooka) IHSA competitors, it sounds like Carlyle is here to stay for awhile due to their resources, volunteers and sponsors. I don't think it's fair. But, it doesn't appear that any of the southern schools have been placing higher due to home-field advantage yet.

I've also been involved with running enough IHSA wrestling tournaments to know that organizing and running such an event is a HUGE undertaking. I cannot imagine the work involved with setting up and running a State Fishing Tourney. Less control and more contingency plans I'm sure. If one has never taken on such a large task, one doesn't have a clue what all is involved. Not a single clue. There's a heck of a lot more to it than just finding a decent location. You HAVE to have the resources and you HAVE to have plenty of volunteers. Without plenty of volunteers you're dead in the water with any tourneys in the IHSA in any sport! You better be a good salesperson and have the ability to recruit volunteers if you're running the show. A good location not only needs to have the resources to compete. But, you also have to make sure the infrastructure can support such a large undertaking. Plenty of hotels nearby? Restaurants? Porta-potties on site (lol), etc. The bottom line is that the only way the IHSA will consider changing the location is if somebody(s) present a good argument for another location and offer a plan to implement. IHSA.org would be the place to start for anybody that's interested in offering up some ideas for a better location...

P.S. Just thought of this. A BIG part of hosting any sport or activity with the IHSA like I said is having volunteers. And a big part in convincing potential volunteers is the promise of a return on your investment. Typically, a host school gets a portion of the entry fees, but concessions are where the REAL money is. Who the heck are you going to sell concessions to to make money at an IHSA fishing tourney???

Paul S 05-16-2014 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishArt (Post 557809)
Convenience I'm sure along with Geography! The IHSA again is geographically driven through the Sectional level. And it will always be that way.

Reading more about Carlyle and talking to a couple of our local (Minooka) IHSA competitors, it sounds like Carlyle is here to stay for awhile due to their resources, volunteers and sponsors. I don't think it's fair. But, it doesn't appear that any of the southern schools have been placing higher due to home-field advantage yet.

I've also been involved with running enough IHSA wrestling tournaments to know that organizing and running such an event is a HUGE undertaking. I cannot imagine the work involved with setting up and running a State Fishing Tourney. Less control and more contingency plans I'm sure. If one has never taken on such a large task, one doesn't have a clue what all is involved. Not a single clue. There's a heck of a lot more to it than just finding a decent location. You HAVE to have the resources and you HAVE to have plenty of volunteers. Without plenty of volunteers you're dead in the water with any tourneys in the IHSA in any sport! You better be a good salesperson and have the ability to recruit volunteers if you're running the show. A good location not only needs to have the resources to compete. But, you also have to make sure the infrastructure can support such a large undertaking. Plenty of hotels nearby? Restaurants? Porta-potties on site (lol), etc. The bottom line is that the only way the IHSA will consider changing the location is if somebody(s) present a good argument for another location and offer a plan to implement. IHSA.org would be the place to start for anybody that's interested in offering up some ideas for a better location...

P.S. Just thought of this. A BIG part of hosting any sport or activity with the IHSA like I said is having volunteers. And a big part in convincing potential volunteers is the promise of a return on your investment. Typically, a host school gets a portion of the entry fees, but concessions are where the REAL money is. Who the heck are you going to sell concessions to to make money at an IHSA fishing tourney???

Last year, it looks like there were 65 boats which is a large tournament but not enormous. I would think that the IHSA would hire/consult some bass tournament hosts from the BASS Federation to assist with the tournament. Obviously, starting from scratch and not having any experience hosting this kind of tournament would be a huge undertaking but for groups that run these types of tournaments on a regular basis, a 65 boat tournament is not some daunting task.

FishArt 05-16-2014 07:15 AM

Pswitzer, I'm sure the IHSA has consulted the BASS federation and/or others for input (I highly doubt they paid for it though - lol!) I would think it would be in the best interest for both parties. I'm also pretty sure that they didn't start this deal blindly. It's highly probable that many of the volunteer boat captains are already tourney fishermen and have an in there already. Again, it ALL comes back to the resources and the availability of volunteers. You need able, unpaid bodies to run any tournament. Shelbyville is probably not populated enough and where do you even start for volunteers? Mattoon is really the closest hotels. Not too far away, but that little dive hotel in Shelbyville is disgusting. Unless you're a bed bug!

Also, Bass Fishing is listed as an activity on the IHSA website, not a sport. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I do know that was made clear to me by one of the coaches when Bass Fishing started at the high schools. So, there must be some impact. There may be some type of second tier, non-fully sanctioned type of support/recognition by the IHSA for clubs/activities vs. sports. I don't know...

Paul S 05-16-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishArt (Post 557865)
Pswitzer, I'm sure the IHSA has consulted the BASS federation and/or others for input (I highly doubt they paid for it though - lol!) I would think it would be in the best interest for both parties. I'm also pretty sure that they didn't start this deal blindly. It's highly probable that many of the volunteer boat captains are already tourney fishermen and have an in there already. Again, it ALL comes back to the resources and the availability of volunteers. You need able, unpaid bodies to run any tournament. Shelbyville is probably not populated enough and where do you even start for volunteers? Mattoon is really the closest hotels. Not too far away, but that little dive hotel in Shelbyville is disgusting. Unless you're a bed bug!

Also, Bass Fishing is listed as an activity on the IHSA website, not a sport. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I do know that was made clear to me by one of the coaches when Bass Fishing started at the high schools. So, there must be some impact. There may be some type of second tier, non-fully sanctioned type of support/recognition by the IHSA for clubs/activities vs. sports. I don't know...

Getting volunteers is not difficult. It can be a simple as making it a requirement for the schools to have one adult volunteer to assist with the launch and the weigh-in- much like track teams have to provide a coach to time or to work field events. Plus, I know with my school district, (we were not allowed to have a team) there is no shortage of teachers wanting to volunteer and help out. If you have 30+ schools, how many additional adult volunteers do you need? Plus, there would never be a shortage of HSers not in the tournament that can do odd jobs. At my school, as I am sure with your's, we use kids all the time to help run events. This is no different.

Overall, my point is that a better lake should have been picked. Off the top of my head Shelbyville, Mill Creek, Clinton, Lake of Egypt, Springfield, Crab Orchard, and Newton are all better choices. All those lakes host big tournaments and the fishing is definitely better. Maybe the pavilion isn't as nice or it's a little bit longer drive to the launch but it will provide the kids with a better weigh-in which is ultimately more important than the IHSA getting to put on a show.

FishArt 05-16-2014 02:35 PM

Some good points Pswitzer. Maybe it's not as hard to run a fishing tourney as I thought? Maybe they already do have a requirement for a volunteer from each school in the bi-laws??? (no more time today to search for info!) And actually, the more I think about it, you're right I think it would be much easier to find h.s. kids especially with lots of interest in fishing and the tourney. Maybe they already do send other teammates??? Added costs of sending another person(s) would be the only reason I could think of why they wouldn't possibly make that mandatory.

Found this though. Looks like Carlyle has already been on the table for replacement. They're only good through the 2015/16 school year as a host. And finding a viable northern host was also a concern. Maybe some answers in upcoming minutes??? Interesting reads...

http://www.ihsa.org/documents/adv%20...sf-minutes.pdf

Paul S 05-16-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishArt (Post 557953)

Found this though. Looks like Carlyle has already been on the table for replacement. They're only good through the 2015/16 school year as a host. And finding a viable northern host was also a concern. Maybe some answers in upcoming minutes??? Interesting reads...

http://www.ihsa.org/documents/adv%20...sf-minutes.pdf

I agree- interesting. Looks like several of the concerns we mentioned were discussed.

All this talk has rekindled my desire to get a team going in our district. We have the coaches, we have the knowledge, we have the boats, and we have the students but we cannot start any new clubs. We don't expect to get paid just to get subbed out once a year. I look at what Andrew does and am so jealous. Thankfully, my son will be going there one day.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.