Carlyle Tournament and Spillway Fishing - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carlyle Tournament and Spillway Fishing

Well I got back from the state tournament at Carlyle Lake yesterday. To start off, I don't like Lake Carlyle. That's just me though. There was only about an inch of visibility in the water and to make things worse we didn't catch any bass. Still a lot of fun and an awesome thing the IHSA is doing. I consider myself lucky that I got to go. Since we weren't catching any bass we decided to make the best of the trip and fish the spillway below the dam. We were using in-line spinners the whole time and caught fish every time we went down there. We immediately started catching white bass. They weren't big but they put up quite a fight. I made a cast and then felt dead weight on my line. After a few minute fight I pull in an 8lb asian carp. Later that day I got an even bigger one.
Here's the bigger one:

Now don't get me wrong, I hate these fish as much as the next guy but it was super fun catching it on a ML rod and 10lb test line. It took me about 6 1/2 minutes to get in and almost spooled me. Once I got it in I had people that were watching me take pictures of me because that was the biggest fish they've ever seen anybody catch.
We went back the next day and were catching the usual white bass. I had a gar take my spinner four times. On the fifth time I finally got him in. It was also the first gar I had ever caught, and he put up a **** of a fight.

The last notable thing I caught was a one-eyed crappie that I snagged through the back.

Even though we didn't catch any bass, it was a great time and I wish I wasn't a senior so I'd be able to go again.
connor1196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor1196 View Post

The last notable thing I caught was a one-eyed crappie that I snagged through the back.

Well I guess he didn't see it coming.

Nice catches.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I went down in late seventies to the Carlyle spill in Feb. got glazed over by ice they had gates open for spring drawdown. Thank you beer guys for those kind of days when I drank.
It was ugly and scary. No fish either I think.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Sorry you didn't have a better tournament Connor.

While I applaud the IHSA for adding Bass Fishing as a sport, they continue to make some poor decisions. Why Carlyle? Why pick a lake so far south in the state? Something like 50% of all the HSs in the state are north of I 80 yet they schedule the final in a lake 4 + hours south. Plus, it is not that great of a lake. A centralized lake such as Shelbyville, Clinton, Springfield or Mill Creek should be the site every year.
Paul S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswitzer View Post
. A centralized lake such as Shelbyville, Clinton, Springfield or Mill Creek should be the site every year.
I agree that all those would have been better places. Carlyle is more known for it's crappie fishing more than anything. They should have held the tournament at a lake known for its bass fishing.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor1196 View Post
I agree that all those would have been better places. Carlyle is more known for it's crappie fishing more than anything. They should have held the tournament at a lake known for its bass fishing.
Unfortunately, the IHSA doesn't put quality of fishery as a very high priority when picking a lake. Yes, launch facilities, adjoining pavilions, and nearby lodging are important but so is the fishing. Do they still fish Tampier?
Paul S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have a problem with where the State tourney was held - as long as that location rotates every year to help limit any advantage gained by being familiar with the area. Otherwise, if it were centrally located every year out of convenience, then those schools that reside in Central Illinois would have an on-going advantage!

Now, maybe the lake choice wasn't great. But, there may be logistical reasons for that tourney location - volunteers and a volunteering host school would play a big part into that equation I would bet. You have to have the people willing to run the show regardless of where that show is! Plus, in reality tough fishing replicates the real world of fishing! Those thunderstorms would have impacted you anywhere you fished!

Also, just a clarification Connor - don't thank the IHSA, thank your coaches and all the parents that volunteered! All the IHSA did was collect their fees for utilizing their name, structure and holding the event. Which, believe me - wouldn't be an event IF numerous volunteers/coaches/parents didn't step up and do all the legwork!
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Too bad about no bass but nice other fish anyway. Still good job for making state. Hopefully my school will be able to fish there next year too.
bassboy15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 04:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was at the tournament as well as a boater for Sandwich boat #2. I am also not a fan of this lake for several reasons and this was my first time ever on the lake. 1. The bass fishing is OK, there are way better lakes.2. Location, I agree with pswitzer. 3. Safety, we were out on Thur and it was flat DANGEROUS!!!! Fri got a little hairy but nothing like Thur. We could easily rotate this tournament around to other lakes that offer better fishing, are safer, and have all the logistics that Carlyle has if not better.
goosefool1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefool1 View Post
\Safety, we were out on Thur and it was flat DANGEROUS!!!! Fri got a little hairy but nothing like Thur.
With as much as the IHSA was saying how seriously they take safety, you would think that they'd scrap Lake Carlyle. Thursday was extremely dangerous. Luckily we had a boat that could easily handle those condition, but me and my partners lost our balance quite a few times and almost fell into the water. Last year they had to cancel the second day because it was too dangerous. The part that gets me is that the IHSA knows it's a dangerous lake, that's why we had that long presentation about safety at the banquet, yet they continue to ignore that fact and keep holding the tournament there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in