Shelbyville Trip Coming up; any help out there? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2016, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shelbyville Trip Coming up; any help out there?

Planning to meet my Brother-in-Law at Lake Shelbyville to fish April 14-17. We've already got hotel reservations, but it has been a loooong time since I have fished Shelbyville.

We will likely focus on bass, but fish for crappie as well. We are staying in Sullivan and expect to launch at the Forrest W. Wood access area, though we can trailer the boat if needed. I would expect to fish from the access area toward the main lake.

If anyone can offer information on lake conditions, the progress of the spawning activities, or what areas and baits are working, I would really appreciate any information I can get. I have been looking on the web some and have found limited current info. If I get some help here, I'll post a detailed report after our trip. I have a posting history if you are curious what my post will look like.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

J.R. (no longer) in Plainfield
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

The best advice I can give you for spring fishing shebyville is start shallow and work deeper for crappie. The way the weather is shaping up I doubt the crappie will have moved into the shallow coves by now. But I would still start shallow in the coves four to six feet of water and slowly move deeper. The lower lake will be warmer than the upper so I'd start there. I'd keep it simple too. Minnows under slip bobbers and 1/16 jigs with soft plastics. Let the water clarity determine color. If things get tough go below the spillway for some white bass action. I was there in October and the white bass bite below the spillway saved the trip. Same goes for bass. I'd start by throwing Texas rigged plastics shallow and if that's not working slowiy work towards main lake points and throw spinnerbaits and jerkbaits. Again not knowing weather and conditions I'd let water clarity determine lure color. Hopefully you get a few sixty degrees days before you go so the bass start to push shallow.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Let us know how you do!

It's been years since I fished the lake, we had a lot of fun chasing crappies down there over the years in all the flooded timber in various depths.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in