Falls of Neuse tailwaters (Raleigh, NC) 11/12, Misc saltwater fishing - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2016, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Falls of Neuse tailwaters (Raleigh, NC) 11/12, Misc saltwater fishing

My time in NC is nearing a close now--this weekend is the second to last time I'll have time to fish here. After a tumultuous week (not the election, some family stuff) I decided to keep it close to home and headed out to the spillway at the Falls of Neuse reservoir.

The last time I was there, the water was very high but I managed to hook into (but not land) some white bass, so I set up an alert after inspecting the USGS site for when it drops back to normal levels. It turns out the flow rate is entirely controlled by humans, because it has quite sharp, sudden changes in flow. I got an email notification Thursday night saying that the gage height was below 2 feet, so it was a perfect day Saturday (chilly, but sunny) to head out.

It was interesting being there right after they lowered the flow rate--there was lots of dead sunfish, bluegill, shad, even a few small crappie on some of the concrete to the side of the spillway where the water suddenly drained off of. I got my start by snagging some dead bluegills and putting the heads on a circle hook, since I'd hooked into some BIG catfish that way in the past.

Eventually I hooked into a nice channel catfish on that setup, but noticed the locals kept netting shad and tossing them in a puddle on the walkway to use as bait. So I just started taking the shad from the puddle after some guys left and fishing a second rod with them rigged up through the lip with a single split shot. Turns out, that was the ticket. I caught a few more small channel catfish, and a lot of really fat bellied white catfish. (White catfish are generally bullhead sized, so the ones in the pictures were nice specimens--we don't have them in IL, though.)

Some stuff from my last trip to the coast also attached:

The big bruiser of a shark (maybe 10 feet long) that easily peeled off a ton of line and then broke my 60 pound mono line. I was not equipped to handle him, and was not expecting him to bite! Included is a video of me and some kids feeding fish heads to him and his buddies after dark. (I had my gear parked next to a fish cleaning station on the Bogue Inlet pier) Also caught pufferfish, bluefish, etc. Wish I knew at the time that the puffers in the NC area were not only not poisonous, but apparently great eating.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161112_175619.jpg (117.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20161112_165328.jpg (156.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20161112_164628.jpg (131.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20161112_154713.jpg (118.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20161112_153931.jpg (236.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20161030_155459.jpg (252.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20161030_142916.jpg (118.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20161029_123046.jpg (132.6 KB, 7 views)
habeebtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Always nice to see some saltwater variety on the forum. Were you close to any of the big tidal blue cats?
Polish Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you ever try for specks and reds there? They love 3" plastic on a 1/4 oz jighead and a variety of topwaters, specifically, the lures that "walk the dog" This time of the year they are in the shallow marsh areas near inlets and channel drop offs. You'll have to be aware of the tidal shifts when targeting them.
Choupiquer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in