Kentucky Lake Report; 3-13-04 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kentucky Lake Report; 3-13-04

I fish with a small bass club here in Tennessee and we had a tournament out of Paris Landing State Park last weekend. I would've submitted this report earlier, but had to go out of town on business. Anyway, Saturday Mar. 13th the best patterns for bass appeared to be chartruese spinner baits with colorado blades fished slow near shallow water. Crank baits caught some, but far more were caught using spinners. The winners of our tournament fished them slow near deeper water. The slower the better. Water temps in the low 50's on the main river, up to 59 in the backs of bays. The weather was in the mid-fifties as well, with winds 10-15 mph out of the East-southeast, partly cloudy. My boat partner and I were the only ones to weigh in smallmouths with one of them 5.16 lbs. These were caught on a main lake point that was breaking the current using firetiger pattern jerkbaits. When the current slowed so did the smallmouth pattern. This weekend I'm going out after the crappie. They are turning on now that the water is beinning to warm up. Looking for them to really move into the bays in the next couple of weeks. Weather is warm and sunny (70's last two days) and this should help warm the bays even more.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 03:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm heading down to this area in two weeks for crappie. Any tips on where to fish or what to use. Seems every year they are in different areas and hit different baits. I know the TVA messes with the water levels and this makes it difficult. Just looking to improve my results.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Kentucky Lake Crappie Fishing; Final comment.

As the other members have suggested, look at the previous posts. I actually gave links to local fishing reports on the web to someone who was also coming down here. I have lived here a year and found it really difficult to get information due to the secretive nature of the fishermen. I attribute that to a couple of things; first most serious crappie fishermen here put out brush piles or stakebeds for their own use. They do that because of the lack of natural cover for spawning/schooling crappie. Knowing where these pieces of structure are is a big difference in the consistent success of the locals. These locations are also hard to communicate, especially since I don't know the locations. Second I think it is the natural tendencies to be territorial. "My Stakebeds..."

My recommendations are similar to the other posts you'll find; ask questions where you stay & where you spend money on bait and tackle (avoid Walmart and spend it at the little guy's place) because they will have the best reason to help. Once you're on the lake, move allot. The people catching allot of crappie down here have allot of lines in the water (known as spider rigs) and are usually moving if they aren't catching. The combination of multiple line techniques and moving around (slow movement with trolling motor) allows them to cover a bunch of water. This is especially helpful during the most prominent situation with crappie; being scattered. Look for brush piles and stakebeds (by law they must be marked with a white PVC-type indicator if they're shallow). Fish above and around the cover, then try in the cover, and then move on. Jigs, usually tubes or twister tails are going to be the best bet; chartreuse & white and red accents (jighead or color combinations) sure seem to be the go-to colors. Can't forget minnows, but if you stick with the mobility theory, jigs lend themselves much better, and I haven't seen minnows out-produce jigs here (but I have on Shelbyville and Clinton). There are a bunch of guides around here, you should seriously consider getting one at the beginning of your trip; lots of water down here, and it all looks fishy!

Good luck;

J.R. (no longer) in Plainfield
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2004, 04:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. I will post when I get back.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cotto, where are you staying on the lake. I'm heading down friday for a week and will report when i get back.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2004, 03:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have friends that live outside of Huntingdon, about 1/2 from there, and I stay with them. We also fish a few of the county lakes in Carroll County but mostly Ky Lake. Not a bad deal since it costs me next to nothing when I go. We usually launch at Birdsong Resort or Paris Landing. Let me know how you do, what works and what doesn't. I'll share my luck (or lack of) when I return. I'm leaving April 14th and will come back the 22nd or 23rd.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in