Table Rock - 7/28 - 8/4 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Table Rock - 7/28 - 8/4

Heading down to Table Rock lake for our annual vacation. Got a new boat this year so I plan on exploring more of the lake than I was able to with the old boat. Have had limited success dropshotting suspended bass 45' down over 100' of water with nighcrawlers.

Wondering if anyone has had some good success with bass, all types SM, LM and spotted. If so can you describe your techniques and locations including depths, time of the day, etc...

Thanks in advance.
Tom
willt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is a beautiful lake but, man, it is hard to fish. Have you tried fishing the thermocline next to bridge pilings? That is the only way I have had even limited success there that time of year. Good luck.
dacas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Crawdad imitations (I always stop at the shore and pick up some rocks to catch a "dad" to see what color they are), tubes (natural colors with jighead 1/2 way inside, makes an erratic spiral on the drop),and my personal favorite Suspending 5" Rogues (ripped and paused)
Brown/Gold/ Orange for smallies on points and sandbars.

3" swimbaits in bluegill color and giant 10"-12" Power worms for Lm bass in the shallows and shade.

Spots were always accidental for me, but seems dropshot would be my first choice.

I've always gone in May/June don't know what they're relating to this time of year.

Hope this helps, good luck, I'll look for your report
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is no shortage of information available on TR...do some research, but at that time of year, I would stick to light line drop shot applications as suggested or try to find some deep water off shore humps and drag a carolina rig. A shallower water bite may exist but likely only after dark...

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Happened to be browsing in caught your note. I was there 2 weeks ago, good weather lousy fishing. got some stripers off the dam by Moonshine beach, but you have to be there early in the morning. Start before sunup and quit by 9am. Got into a mess of Kentuckys on the opposite side from Big Cedar's bay. There is a point that is real popular with the kids for diving and swimming. About 200 yards back from the point there are trees in 70 ft, Bass at 40. Threw everything but the kitchen sink and couldn't raise one. I'd try there again, though, I've never seen so many fish on my locator. Finally had good luck on the point just south of the State park marina. Lake side of the point, water is 90 feet with a lot of trees. Hit on some nice Blacks and Kentuckys about 30 - 50 ft. Used a drop shot with a finese worm 6 inches long.

I'll go back in October with my fly rod for trout on Taneycomo. Go to the new Branson Landing. Totally tourist, but a new Bass Pro shop opened up there.

Good Luck
Ozark Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the reports. I especially liked the SM tips. I have been down at TB 3 times now. We have a timeshare so our week is always the same, end of July and it's hot.

Tried dropshot last year and only got 2 fat spots. So we ended up slip trolling Taney by the dam. We slip trolling and using crank baits, the float guys looked at us like we were on crack but we caught lots of fish and their jaws dropped when they saw us pulling in fish. Bet they would never think to use a Bill Dance Fat Free Shad to catch rainbows.

Anyhow, I printed the hot spot maps on ozarkangler.com (or something like that) and marked up my normal TB map. Will certainly try more drop shotting this year and getting out earlier this year may be the trick to getting in on some topwater. Probably won't try any whitebass I hear they only hit for about 30min each morning.

I got a bigger boat this year so Taney is a little scary. It's a crestliner Serenity 18' with a 175 Merc. I know I have to wait for the water to run and keep an eye on my depthfinder and stay in the main channels. Do you guys think I should stay off Taney with the bigger boat, especially close up by the dam. Previously I was only running a 14' Lowe aluminum Nymph (rowboat style) with a 25hp and had no problems.

Will post a report when I get back.

Tom
Old 07-27-2006, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your boat should handle Taney. I've got an 18.5 Tracker with a 75 and no problems. I've seen lots bigger up and down the river. Just watch yourself by Short Creek, Stay to the Right going upstream and you'll be ok. Also that sand bar by Fall Creek can claim a lot of props, so stay in the Channel. Any further up in the Trophy area, I'd be real careful. If the water's down, I'd stay below Fall Creek.

Good Luck
Ozark Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default OK, here's the report as promised

Let me start off with saying that this was part fishing and family vacation. Ask my wife and she will tell you what part ruled, but she was pretty cool and I did fish every day while I was down there.

So I knew well in advance since I have been down there the same week for 4 yrs now that the bass on Table Rock are hard to catch. So my research paid off and the white bass were my primary target considering they school and I would be fishing before the family got rolling for the day. So I headed every morning just to the north side of the dam, not sure what the part of the dam I was at but it seemed like some secondary dam type of structure, anyhow, that's where the white bass schooled up every morning. The bite was short, they were really only active until around 7-7:15am when the sun poped over the hills the fish scattered and bites were really tough to come by.

My first 2 days were real learning experiences, I was having trouble getting my bait down to the right depth. I also wasn't using the right jigging spoons. I bought a couple of swedish pimple spoons but they were just too small, I think size 4. Gander didn't have anything bigger. So in my hard headedness I stuggled with the size 4 pimples for 2 days. The first day I only got 1 fish but it weighed in at 3 lbs and was the first big white bass I have ever caught. IT WAS COOL. I have caught small hybreds before but nothing like this. So I figured what the hay, so I went out again the next morning, same time, 6am and didn't catch anything and everyone around me was catching fish. Well as I looked around they were all using larger jigging spoons and had their eyes glued to their electronics. OK, lesson learned. I headed to the Ozark Bait shop in Kimberling City and loaded up on chrome and white jigging spoons in 2 different sizes. The next morning I hit the spot again at 6am and landed 4 nice whites. All 4 weighted between 2 and 2.5 lbs. This time I paid attention to my electronics and with the bigger spoons I could see my bait falling and I was able to keep the spoons in the strike zone which ended up being between 25-30' as a rule.

Well the next few days were not as good as day 2 with the four fish but I toughed it out and only caugt 1 fish per day. I have never used jigging spoons so I figured I would chalk it up as a learning experience and at least I had 1 fish per day so there was no skunk in the boat.

We also took the kids fishing around the shores and caught bluegill/sunfish one after the other. It was hot action with some really nice sunfish so it was great for the kids and kept the boat smelling like fish.

Finally on the last night there I decided to do some night fishing for bass. So I rigged up a drop shot with a storm pearl colored finesse minnow and fished some points. I wasn't expecting to catch anything on the plastic considering last year we were only able to catch bass drop shotting nightcrawlers, but I was wrong. I only fished for about 1.5hrs and hooked into 2 spots. Eventually I hung my drop shot up in something and broke off and not being very good in tying polamers in the dark I tied on a jig with a crawdad trailer and started casting to the bank on the point. The jig/craw combo got me a nice smallie. So overall not a bad evening for a couple hours of fishing.

Never made it to Taneycomo, although I really wanted to. We killed them there last year slip trolling crank baits below the dam. Well there is always next year.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

headin down there next weekend. can't wait-according to this post I shouldn't have any trouble catchin some bass and cleanin some bluegills. I'll post pics of anything decent we get. I have to teach a fishin class down there sat and sun morning and the rest of the weekend is a fishin vacation!
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in