Father and Son Quetico trip --- son's first trip day 1 and 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Father and Son Quetico trip --- son's first trip day 1 and 2

My son Alex(9yo) and I had a really great, special and fun trip to the Quetico back in June. We were there from Monday 6/25 to Saturday 6/30. Our plan was to base camp on the eastern end of Lake Saganagons.
It was my third time to this area and fourth overall kindof trip like this...this would be my son's first trip and of course our first together.

I'm finally getting around to posting this on Ed's site after posting it on a few websites unique to the area. It's not much of a fishing report so don't be too dissappointed...

Our gear for the trip...

Sunday 6/24
Alex and I left home here in Channahon, Il around 10a.m. making our first stop only a few minutes from home for gas and breakfast. Already at this time it was rather warm and humid and I was hoping this wouldn’t follow us all the way north, since I hate warm weather, anything over 80. Our next stop came in Tomah, Wi for more gas. Then stopped in Superior for more gas. About 10 minutes later found out gas was about 10 cents cheaper in Minnesota then Wisconsin;-( Oh and when did they put that rt.53 bypass around Eau Claire? Really nice not having to go through the middle of town now. Unfortunately, I haven't been up this way since 2004 since my last Quetico trip in May of that year and then a Bemidji vacation with my son in August of that same year.

The ride along the north shore of Lake Superior was breathtaking as always but unfortunately the big lake wasn’t kicking up much. I was hoping for a nice chop while I listened to Gordon Lightfoot sing, “The Wreck of the Fitzgerald” and I wanted my son to see the fury this lake can produce. The traffic was very light on rt.61 and at about midpoint between Duluth and Grand Marais an ambulance came flying west down 61. About 5 miles further up 61 we came upon the remnants of a crash with police flagging people around. It really hit home how long it would be to wait for help in some of the remote parts of the country and then how long to the nearest hospital??

Alex thought the lake was just HUGE and took a little dip just outside of Duluth, COLD WATER!! There was a dead deer carcass washed up on the beach to be explored.

A 1000 footer headed to the twin ports...

I was looking forward to stopping at Gooseberry Falls to show my son this attraction. Luckily we made it here before it got too dark and we enjoyed the scenery, only a few others around and took some photos. The flow from the falls was rather weak and we almost decided to go back to the car and grab our swimsuits and take a quick soak but being it so late I knew it would be cooling down soon and I would regret that decision later. Sadly, some clown always decides to leave their can of soda behind…as AnglerEd said last time, “musta been from Illinois.” LOL We almost walked right into a deer heading back to the parking lot.

Arrived in fog shrouded Grand Marais around 10:30pm, too late for dinner at the lighthouse so we settled for a stale sandwich from the gas station. Headed up the Gunflint and saw probably a half dozen deer along the way and some glowing eyes from smaller animals that I couldn’t quite make out. Alex slept most of the way on this last stretch. We arrived in the Seagull parking lot around Midnight which officially completed day 1.

Hope I figured out posting photos with this report right...

Dave B
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Monday 6/25

It wasn’t easy trying to sleep in a little Hyundai Accent loaded down with gear and one other person and I think I got about 1 to 2 hrs of sleep if that. This and the fact that I had very little to eat would come back to haunt me on the portage at Silver Falls later today. I wound up putting the food pack and cooler on the roof to try and give us a little more room but it really didn’t help. On top of the cramped quarters it was very humid, we couldn’t open the windows since it would let all the bloodsuckers in so I resorted to starting the car every so often and ran the AC which helped for a while. Finally around 4a.m. we just kind of finally gave up on that idea and decided to walk around a little. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes here in the parking lot and near the shore of Seagull lake were unrelenting so we made a hasty retreat back to the car with probably a dozen accompanying us inside. I proceeded to smash the little blood suckers one by one on the driver side window making one bloody mess.
Dad and Alex excited about getting started...

Our towboat arriving to pick us up

Finally, 7a.m. and the time had finally arrived to meet Debbie and the Staff at Seagull and pay for our canoe and tow. Once again the staff was at their best making short order of loading our gear and transporting us to the launch site. We made the tow with 6 other gentlemen from I believe Missouri who were headed to the falls chain one who was celebrating his 50th b-day. On the tow to Honeymoon Island on Lake Saganaga the fire damage looked devastating but didn’t hold a candle to the destruction we saw headed back down the Gunflint trail during daylight hours on our way home. We made it to our drop off point nice and dry for the winds this morning were very light.

After we loaded our canoe up with our gear the moment of truth had arrived. How would my 9year old son handle being in a weighted down canoe in such a large body of water and more importantly would he like it and be able to paddle without triggering his asthma. After 10 minutes out on the water he was performing like a champ and kept saying, “this is fun dad”. OH THANKYOU, Lord!!! To top it off we even made it to the Canadian ranger station way ahead of the 6 guys we came out with and almost caught up with a group that had left from Hook Island before us. Not that I was racing but wanted to get through the ranger station first since I knew the portage was going to be hard on me.

It would be a busy morning for Janice the ranger lady. A group of 6 already here then us, 6 others we came out after us with more canoes in the distance heading this way. We met Janice the ranger and listened to the official park guidelines, paid our fees for camping, fishing license and bought a friends of the park water bottle with the total coming to around $75 after deposit. Heading back out the wind was still light and in our favor something I fretted about since I made the reservations. I also noticed what appeared to be some fire damage to the Island NW from the ranger station, something I don’t remember being there from my last trip back in 2004.

We made it to the Silver Falls portage fairly quickly without actually going down a dead end bay. LOL There was a small group already here but plenty of room so we put our stuff well off to the side and started our portage. I portaged the alumacraft canoe first which went a little better then I expected and Alex took a few light things like seat cushion and seats. I was pretty proud of myself for not having hardly any loose items and everything in packs this time. Unfortunately, because of the number of heavy items Alex wasn’t able to portage any of those and I’m not about to admit here how many trips it took me to get it all across…let’s just say I blew away my old record. LOL To get an idea of how long this took me the other group caught up with us and finished their portage about the time I was half way through, along with 1 or maybe 2 other groups. The heat and humidity along with only about 2 hours sleep max in 24 hours and very little nourishment this morning was taking its toll. Made a mental note to myself through all of this to buy a few lighter items(tent is too heavy, maybe go with single lightweight burner, also brought too much food) and most of all downsize on my fishing gear next time something I say but never do, probably had at least 30lbs of this. Since it was just me and my small son the food pack didn’t seem so heavy at home this year so I really overdid it with fishing gear.

I don’t handle heat and humidity very good and it was heating up pretty good, about midpoint my head felt like it was going to explode. There was a nice breeze out on the lakes but on the portage it was just about non-existent. My exhaustion didn’t do a lot to keep my sons spirits up. Bugs on the portage weren’t too bad. The Silver Falls portage is hardly long, however, on both ends the initial climb really wears on you and has that very large rock by the falls that can be tricky to negotiate with a heavy canoe on your shoulders.(should of took a picture of that thing) There are numerous smaller boulderss, tree roots and one large tree across the portage which keep things interesting. The tree really isn’t a big problem and can be easily saddled over even with a canoe or heavy pack. By the time I finished this thing I had a name for just about every turn, rock, tree root, hill, dip, etc…

After finally getting everything across the portage and back into the canoe all we could think about was getting to the first available campsite to cool off and rest. My plan had originally been to get to the eastern half of Saganagons to base camp for the week but after the portage I was toasted and we opted to take the same campsite AnglerEd and I had back in 2004, a site which I really like. It has a great sunset views, nice landing, open to the breezes, eating area, deep water for swimming but not the greatest tent pads. As soon as we made landfall the only thing I could think of doing was soaking my feet in the nice cool water. Oh did that feel good!!! Alex wanted to go swimming so I said, talk off your sweatpants and get in. He gave me this look like I was crazy and all I had to do was give him a look that said, look around who’s going to see you. It was the first time I think he started to realize just what a special place this was and unlike anyplace he’s ever been before. So he stripped down to his briefs and waded in. The cooler lake waters felt magnificent and were just what we needed to feel somewhat rejuvenated. We just sat in the water for a few hours before I could get up the energy to put up the tent and make us some dinner. Being as tired as I was it was Mac & Cheese for Alex and a cup of Ramen soup for me. Alex turned in very early while I got the gear inside the tent and organized.

Our home for the week...

Today ended without either of us wetting a line, and I hit the sack around 10pm after a beautiful sunset and clear skies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in