Frot Myers, FL 1/1/2009 - 1/3/2009 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Frot Myers, FL 1/1/2009 - 1/3/2009

Luckily in our "recession" it seems plenty of people can still afford to get out for a day of fishing. Maybe things aren't as bad as the reporters tell us they are. Every day I've been out there have been at least 10 boats within sight so that's good for the whole marine industry.

Enough about economics, So on new years day it was a bit windy and we decided the best bet would be to run inside Sanibel and come out of Redfish Pass. That worked well since the seas were strong 4's with a 5 every now and again. Out at the pegasus/boxcars area we set the anchor and got the chum going but it seemed to be too rough for anything to get near the surface. Instantly we were hooking big lanes from 14-16 inches and also getting a few mangs and yellowtail in the mix. Our pinfish had a hard time finding a gag or red grouper but they always seemed to get grabbed by an AJ. One of the clients was using a real "butterfly" jig and that produced AJ's and a few almaco. Added to the days catch were one gag, a pair of keeper scamp and what I would consider to be a slob strawberry at almost 17 inches.
New Years day

Mike doing the make it look bigger pose, his first keeper grouper ever which was caught right after he said " I've never landed a keeper grouper, everyone else on the boat catches them but never me"

Then Jan 2nd we fished the same area the same way and with the same results.

Yesterday we went out to 100' and hit some hard bottom and small ledges to try for a better haul of grouper. Again the anchor and chum went out and this time we had big mangos up in the slick. Only problem is the only thing they really liked was the chum. We tried flat lines with chunks of sardine or live shrimp, the same baits also went to the bottom and we picked off maybe 3-4 fish. Then the jigs came out and were tipped with shrimp and they worked great but every time we hooked up the leader would break. At first I thought I had some bad line but then we pulled in a small king. So I quick rigged a KF rig and pulled up king number two they were both keepers, perfect for fried fish fingers so we iced them. At that same spot live pinfish produced plenty of grouper strikes from fish in the 19-25 inch range.

Later in the day we hit a small hard spot on the way in and pulled a couple more grouper for the table along with plenty of near misses and way shorts. At about 3 pm we were on the way in riding on almost calm seas and just enjoying the fact that we have such a wonderful place to live.

The keepers

The glory shot
CaptJoe Verdino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Joe. do you charter in FT. Myers?
liqrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice haul of fish!

I just finished the last of my Ft Myers grouper and snapper from the freezer.

I need to get away from this cold and get down there to stock up again.
c2mey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqrman
I'm still trying to figure out the site, I checked your profile and there is no E-mail address. Also tried a PM and it says "not authorized" you can E-mail me if you have any questions.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chrck your pm. Joe. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJoe Verdino
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out the site, I checked your profile and there is no E-mail address. Also tried a PM and it says "not authorized" you can E-mail me if you have any questions.
Gotta have at least 10+ or more posts.

Lots of GOOD eatin' thar.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Nikster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

guess I can't send a pm to you. If you do charter, I might be interested around the 1st week of May.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
guess I can't send a pm to you. If you do charter, I might be interested around the 1st week of May.
try google, you can find anything and anybody there
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Capt Joe,

From the looks of your photos you seem to be more of a deep-sea guy but I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm heading down to FLA at the end of FEB to Osprey ( about an hour or so south of Tampa) I've been trying to find FLA fishing forums or any information referencing snook fishing in the canals. I saw a show a while back where they did this right off the tamiami trail (sp?). This might only be during a certain season I'm not sure. I would also like to wade some or paddle flats for snook, reds, trout anything really. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.

Tight lines,
Nathan
Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Nathan,

I'm a bit further south of that area but one of the guides I know said you can fish "North Jetty Park" for snook,trout, mackerel and other stuff. He said go south on Casey Key until you get to the end and there is the State Park.

Regards,
Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in