Kentucky Lake Report 4/4-4/7 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2002, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Zaraspook,
I said I'd give you a report when I got back from Kentucky Lake, well, here it is. And you're not going to like it.
This trip was, in a word, HORRIBLE! Four of us went down, 2 each in 2 boats. We were all over Jonathan Creek, and Duncan Bay, and several other areas as well. We caught just 3 crappies, 2 yellow bass, and some drum (Sheephead) for the whole 3 1/2 days!!!!!!!
We worked hard to find fish, too. My friends do not float around drinking beers, we fish hard, all day long, and we still couldnt find the fish. Remember what I said about hiring a guide? DO IT! They were the only ones catching anything. They took their clients to their "secret" brush piles and they managed to scratch up between 12 and 25 fish for the whole day. Even they were having trouble.
Our resort manager said this was the WORST spring theyve have for crappie in a long time. They claim that, due to warmer water in February than in March, then heavy rains and flooding which raised, then dropped, water levels, the crappie never got into their usual patterns. They were very scattered as a result. It would actually be more productive to fish for bass. Some guys were taking bass on crankbaits and plastic lizards while we were there.
If you still want to try fishing without a guide (since they are expensive) then you might want to try drifting or anchoring way in the back of Jonathan Creek just outside the bridge at the back of the bay. Many boats were in there and the guys who could find some of the stumps in there caught a FEW fish.
Sorry this couldnt be more helpful. Good luck!
Jaxfishn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2002, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

As of 12pm Thursday April 11,Fishing stinks.I called my friend on his boat today and they are packing up coming home. Fishing for crappie Stinks and I think bass are s l o w too or he would have said something.Sunday water temps were 52 today 61.They are drawing down the lake a foot every day for last 4 or 5days and my friends party had good guides and they were catching between 10-20 fish per boat a day.He thinks fishing MIGHT improve in the next week(doubts it) if they stop drawing the lake down.He says Lake is real low, Brush piles that were7-10 feet deep(before) (I think his cell phone was going in and out) are against the bank.I will have more information tonight.They are having their worst crappie year ever so far.Chauncey's report is B.S.or the locals want you to come on down.You know how much they love chicago people. Roy
basscaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2002, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm glad I canceled my trip two weeks ago. I've also heard from a guy who lives on the lake, he agrees it has been the worst year in a long time. He said there was a shad kill which helped to really screw up the fishing. I am planning on heading down in the next few weeks if the water drops and clears. Hoping that at some point they will turn on and it won't be a lost year. Just read the Tribune which gave Kty five stars. I wonder who they are taking to. mt.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in