ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Another Not So Quick Trip to the " " South

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  2sac 
#1 ·
While we wait for the ice to re-form, I thought I'd share a brief report from another trip down to the Ozarks fishing Norfork and Bull Shoals for a week or so.

Fished my usual patterns for this time of year, which typically involves fishing the steep channel sides and secondary points of major creeks as well as the back side of main lake bluffs. Most of the time I was throwing a Jewel Pro Spider jig with an occasional Arig and Phantom Craw Wiggle Wart mixed in to break up the monotony.

Both lakes had been turned over for about 2-3 weeks and water temps ranged from 54 - 59 depending on time of day and locations.

Welcome to Bull Shoals...

The darkest LMB I've seen down there...very odd given the absence of vegetation...

Lots of nice chunky spots, just a gorgeous looking fish done no justice by this crappy exposure photo...

Swimming the school...

One day on Norfork I was idling across a creek arm following the channel swing to the opposite side and marked what was some serious schools of threadfin shad getting torn up by what turned out to be some nice whites and some stripers mixed in...

While the wind allowed I was able to stay on top and drop a spoon down to 'em

Similar to up here, winter came early to the Ozarks with many days I was fishing temps never getting out of the mid to high 30s, so conditions were tough. Many of the bluff wall pockets had some interesting frozen springs...

The crappy weather with heavy freezing rain cost me a couple days but allowed time for leaf and tree removal on our property. An additional bonus to this was that I was able to find time to run to town and get some Christmas shopping in as well. One place had some killer specials...literally. I mean this is why I love the South. Well, I guess not limited to the South, rather just rural areas regardless of the geography North or South. Look at the specials in the ad (red arrows), especially for the boys and girls in your life...hand guns, ammo and stun guns just in time for the Holidays :eek:...No need to wait for Black Friday...:)2

My last couple days had somewhat tolerable weather...below freezing temps in the morning but without any freezing precipitation...so a few more nice spots and other green and brown specimens before hitting the road back North....until next Spring...

See less See more
#5 ·
Great and funny report as usual :)2
Like Kodiak said, the picture of the graph is very cool.

Also the flyer advertising handguns and stun guns for "boys and girls" :eek:
Fun for all ages I tell ya :)21...

#8 ·
Very nice mixed bag. Lake Norfork is one of my favorite places to go, but only been there in the spring and once in Oct. Usually try to time it with prespawn stripers and catch a bit of everything mixed in.

My favorite tactic there is to drift some live bait while tossing lures from the front of the boat == nonstop action and a chance at some giant stripes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.