Tenkara Fishing - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tenkara Fishing

Hey guys, I am pretty new to CLF and fly fishing. I started out using a western fly rod with the reel an all about 2 years ago and loved it. The casting was a little difficult and having all that line out and floating around on the water was a bit annoying, especially in faster moving water. After looking for some information on how to better cast I came across Japanese fly fishing, Tenkara Fishing. It is a very simple way to fly fish. you have a long expandable rod anywhere from 10 to 20 feet long, A furled line and a simple fly. There is no reel and the rod is super flexible so even the smallest fish seem like a 4 or 5 pounder. I picked up a rod over the summer and ever since that first day pulling in an a 6 inch sunfish I have been hooked. I sold off most of my western fly equipment and went full Tenkara. If any of you have tried it I would like to find out your thoughts, techniques and any information you have.
Thanks!
Bross1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

On really skinny streams I could see it being productive but around here I don't see the benefits. How much line do you have attached to your rod? I enjoy using a flyrod during certain times of the year on the river but consider myself a hack. Positioning yourself to make quality drifts thru an area is key, I'm content with a 40ft cast in most situations.
hipster78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have used any where from a 7 ft rod with a 7 ft line and about 3 ft of tippet on the smaller creeks. On the Fox River I use an 18 ft rod with an 18 ft line and about 3 to 4 ft of tippet. I find this method much better than the western style simply because the castings so easy. It is just a flip it out and go, there is no line getting tangled up and going back an forth to get the line out.
Bross1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Welcome to the Midwest Tenkara Tribe

I have been fishing Tenkara now for about four years. I target smallmouth in flowing waters; the Fox (and some feeder creeks), Kankakee (and some feeder creeks), DuPage, Kishwaukee, Vermillion, Milwaukee, Sheboygan. It has been a superb journey. Still use the western rods for steelhead and carp, but that is real seasonal.

It has been really rewarding and I catch a lot of smallies. Mainly because I know how to read moving waters and know where fish should be - given time of year, water temps and conditions. I also have a particular way of fishing - wading and casting downstream only - never up, or up and across.

I average 20 fish per four hour outing. I say that not to go, "hey look at me, ain't I good," but that I am learning or understand the wwwww&h of smallmouth behavior in flowing waters and I am able to figure that out most days on the water. And, that Tenkara has really been more effective for my techniques than western style. I have come to view Tenkara limitations as advantages.

I'd be glad to share info with you if you wish. PM would probably be best. - Bob Long Jr, Chicago

Last edited by bossbob50; 02-03-2017 at 08:20 PM.
bossbob50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in