One-Weight and Zero-Weight Fly Rods - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 10:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

I am wondering if the difference between an ought and a double-ought-line is noticeable ... or for that matter, if there is any notable difference between a one-weight from an ought-weight line.

I too have never tried to catch carp on an ultralight fly rod. And being that I've owned my two-weight fly rod for fifteen years - which has appreciated its sentimental value - I probably wil not attempt such an adventure in the future. Panfish and brookies are good enough for me - at least when it comes to a rod this light.

I did, however, spend one afternoon fishing for goldfish in a local pond last spring, using the ultralight I caught both goldfish and (small) carp on a chewed up nymph long past its prime. I eventually hooked an orange and black goldfish that actually jumped out of the water after I hooked him. I was both surprised and humored by the sight. Just picture a colorful and pudgy baseball-sized fish with its little tail fin wiggling in mid air.
unremarkable bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default 00 weight - casting in the wind

Guys,

One of the drawbacks to these light rods is the inability to cast for distance and casting into or across the wind. They simply aren't designed for that.

However, as Capt. Kirk said in "The Wrath of Khan" - "There are always alternatives."

Even though the standard cast is at 12 o'clock, another good cast to learn is the horizontal cast - low to the water - a sidearm cast. In my youth we fished southern lakes that had shorelines studded with overhanging trees. The only way to get a fly under the tree (to the waiting bass, bluegill and shellcrackers) was with a sidearm cast, the line traveling horizontal with the water (moving only a foot or two above it). The fly would sail under the overhangs.

We found this also works better than anything when casting into the wind. Frequently, due to surface friction, there is just a little bit less wind close to the water's surface.

Your loops can be open or tight; you can cast short or long-ish. It's a great cast to have in one's box of techniques. Plus you don't hit yourself in the head with the fly.

Sit on the floor, or ground outside, and practice. Sitting on the ground gives one more of a feeling of being in hip deep water and wading. It mimics how close to the water's surface your rod and line should be.

bob long
boblongjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default 0 wt rod

I think the biggest draw back to a 0 wt or 00 wt rod is your ability to bring the fish in and safely release it back to the stream. After such a large fight it might be difficult for some individuals to safely release a trout back to the water without the fish dying.

Rob
Old 05-11-2005, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jbarthelt

Recently I took a rodbuilding class and developed an addiction. 1 rod turned into 4 quickly. One of those rods, and my favorite of the bunch, is a 30 year old Fenwick 4 weight, full wells handle, zebra wood reel seat. I was leery about buying this rod because of how small it was, but I had a cheapy 5 wt and wanted something smaller for casting in close quarters. The 4 is so light that I feel like if I whipped it hard enough I could snapp the rod. If a 4 feels like that, I can't even imagine what a 0 would cast like. Is it strictly a finesse only kind of weight? I would think a strong wrist flick could break it.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Fighting the fish with the reel is an interesting idea. I always thought of my fly reel as more of a line holder.

The light-weight fly rods are idea for rock hopping situations in the Rockies where you are sight fishing to small pools. You are sheltered from the wind sometimes, and need to make accurate casts. You can't cast as far, but this serves as an advantage when you have cover over your head and can't afford to have 30 ft. of line out. You can be dead on nose of a brookie basking in the sun.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #16 (permalink)

JB,

These rods, though ultralight, will most definately NOT snap by a flick of the wrist. When I got my two-weight rod some years ago, I was told that you have to cast these lighter rods somewhat differently than your typical five, six, or heavier weight lines. The whole casting motion has to be smoother and a bit slower, allowing for the limited grain of the line. If you like to "flick" your wrist during the forward cast, you cannot expect the line to have to weight to respond in the same way.

Gene
Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Found another online article on this subject

http://www.byrdultrafly.com/ulmyths.htm

Gene
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Question Old ultra lightweight vintage fly rod

I have an old ultra/lightweight vintage fly rod, I can't find any info or value could anyone help please
Chasity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Need info and pix. Otherwise I'll refund your shipping cost if you want to send it to me to keep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in