closest trout stream - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default closest trout stream

which one would be a closest trout stream from Naperville? Im heading up to west upo to Fennimore where are a lot of nice streams, but 4 hours of driving is lil too long and I cant afford that much gas since im addictive fisherman who needs to go fish 24-7
domantas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

that is about the closest real trout stream, if you go near madison there is black earth and some others around there, but if you drive 1.5 more hours west you get into some real water that is well worth the extra drive. As for trout in illinois good luck...I've found one creek that is spring fed and holds natural reproducing trout in it although they are few and far between it is still a treat, but i'm keeping that one to myself.

Let me know how you do and good luck

tight lines,
Sean
anhourwasted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sure we would all love a beautiful little spring creek chock full of little natural browns in our back yard here in the Chicagoland area, however you are simply going to have to suck it up and make the drive. Our backyard is SW WI, Michigan and yes, even eastern Iowa. There's just no getting around it. I agree with the comment above, Coulee country is beautiful. I am always amazed that I'm still in the mid-west everytime I go, but there are still plenty of places to go in the Madison area. I guess I'd rather fish Black Earth than not fish and sometimes a few less hours driving makes it a bit more do-able. Go pick up a copy of Trout Streams of Wisconsin by Jim Humphrey and Bill Shogren and a Delorme and have at it. There's a wealth of information in those chapters.
fliesonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhourwasted
that is about the closest real trout stream, if you go near madison there is black earth and some others around there, but if you drive 1.5 more hours west you get into some real water that is well worth the extra drive. As for trout in illinois good luck...I've found one creek that is spring fed and holds natural reproducing trout in it although they are few and far between it is still a treat, but i'm keeping that one to myself.
Let me know how you do and good luck

tight lines,
Sean
You didnt find that one in illinois thats for sure..
Eyegouger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
DM

A lot of trout streams around the Madison area. The Wisconsin DNR website was nice enough to put maps of the Madison area streams. Check it out.
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/faq/wheretofish.html
Also don't forget to get a copy of Wisconsin Gazetter and you're good to go. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bluff Creek is a tiny but deep spring fed limestone stream near Whitewater Wisconsin, about 10 miles north of Lake Geneva. Great Browns and Brook trout in there. I also happen to know where that IL trout stream is, and I agree on keeping it a secret!
Muskie Militia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie Militia
Bluff Creek is a tiny but deep spring fed limestone stream near Whitewater Wisconsin, about 10 miles north of Lake Geneva. Great Browns and Brook trout in there. I also happen to know where that IL trout stream is, and I agree on keeping it a secret!

PSST - Come on - I won't tell anyone!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Bluff Creek ?

Are there really trout in Bluff Creek ?
I'll give anyone a dollar for the Illinois trout stream (promise not to tell)
Thanks.
kingfin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gentlemen,
Trout Fisherman are like Ruffed Grouse Hunter's. I know I do both. They are not going to share and relieve information that can endanger and destroy the population. You can fish a area out in a trout stream easily and ruin it with a lot of pressure. I know where they are talking but not telling.
Denny
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Gentlemen,
Trout Fisherman are like Ruffed Grouse Hunter's. I know I do both. They are not going to share and relieve information that can endanger and destroy the population. You can fish a area out in a trout stream easily and ruin it with a lot of pressure. I know where they are talking but not telling.
Denny
Lighten up - it was a joke

As Fliesonly mentioned, NE Iowa has a great trout program with both stocked and reproducing trout. The streams are small and crystal clear. I've been there a few times and had lots of fun and plenty of fish to eat!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in