mission accomplished!! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default mission accomplished!!

well I finally got a carp on my 3wt!! yes a 3wt. it was a blast!! it was about a 10 pounder that fell to my craw colored clouser swimming nymph. the spot I was fishing had tailers all over. cast after cast I couldnt get any takers. but finally I saw movement in my line so I hauled back on the rod and BOOM it was on!! the fish ripped into my backing before I could blink. it went round and round, I'd get my line back then he would get my backing again. after a hard fought battle he began to lose steam and I landed him. the area was wide open and free of obstructions so it was perfect for my 3wt. I had very little control of the fish, I could not turn him like I could with my 8wt. I'm gonna keep trying for a bigger carp with my 3wt, just dont know 20+ carp will do to my poor little 3wt. there is only one way to find out!! the rod was a TFO 7'6" and the reel was a cabelas SLA which is their highest grade reel. I was pleased with its performance, the drag seemed to be pretty smooth and the super large arbor helped to pack on alot of backing that I desperately needed. I'm not sure how far out he got, but it was WAY WAY out there at one time. I had to take it easy cause I had a 7X tippet which I think is about 3lbs test. this is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. all the planets must have been in line for me .

Joe
Joe D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
DM

I can only imagine what that fight must have been like. Congratulations, you have every right to be proud of yourself.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Way to go! I hope the snooty Orvis boys don't blacklist you for using fly gear to catch a lowly carp! I wonder how many of those "purists" could have landed a carp on 3 wt.
nlbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've gotten alot of funny looks from people when I tell them I flyfish for carp. they look at me like I have 3 eyes
Joe D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to stlhed

flyfishing for carp is actually catching on quickly these days. i went up to grand traverse bay a couple times this past season...stalking carp on the flats while wading is a riot. i'd still rather be chasing the bones but carp are every bit as difficult. pretty sure a 3wt won't cut it out there though
stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in