Dupage River East Branch 9/10 (Finally got a Carp) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dupage River East Branch 9/10 (Finally got a Carp)

I got out on the east branch for about an hour before the rain. It's a shame it rained last night, the river was just starting to clear up. Out of all the carp I spotted I ended up going 1 for 3.

The first carp I spotted, I initially spooked it, so I ducked down behind some grass, and took a seat on the bank for about 5 minutes, once it came back I then placed one good "lucky" cast about three feet in front of him, let the fly drift back, and the battle was on.

This guy gave me my best fight so far on the Fly Rod. I was using a 4 pound test tippet, so I had to play him gently and the battle was long.

The next carp I spotted, I placed a decent cast in front of it, and this little guy came in and snatched up my fly before the carp even had a chance.

The third carp, spotted my fly and went for it. But the two of us failed to make a connection.

This poor little guy had an adventure. I never even knew he took my fly, and he came flying out of the water on a back cast, he also ended up getting stuck in a tree. After I was able to get him all untangled, and released, he did swim away. I think he's going to make it.

I ended up catching about 7-8 more panfish, and also hooked a largemouth that got away before I was able to take a picture. I picked him up, reached in my pocket for the camera, and he slipped out back into the river. This is the fly I was using.

I've casted alot of different flies at carp this summer, but this is the first one I have had any luck with.
Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice job. Did you tie that fly yourself? If so, what all did you put into it.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by labman
Nice job. Did you tie that fly yourself? If so, what all did you put into it.
I bought this one a while back, and I got really lucky. I saw a post on the auction site from a seller in Colorado. The post went something like this. "I'm recollecting" "I got about 100 flies, all are area specific, and from local tiers in the area. I tied a few of them myself, but not more than 30 of them. They were all tied for situations local to this area." After I won the auction, the seller shipped me the flies, I forget the exact # but after i counted them, it was about 320 of them. I got a large variety all in one shot.

I have about 3-4 of the ones I pictured, already lost one of them yesterday in some tall grass.
Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Where on the East Branch ? I have fished the West branch and done so so. I would love to try the east branch for Bass and Carp on the fly gear. Where is the best place to park/access ?
preciogunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in