Necessary to keep the limit???? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2003, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Necessary to keep the limit????

Have been reading the reports about opening day for inland trout. Interesting to see everyone catching their limit. That's great. However, is it really necessary to KEEP THE LIMIT?

Word is, the trout are all gone in 2-3 weeks. That's to bad. Perhaps if more folk would catch and release we might get more than 2-3 weeks out of these fish.

If your really all so concerned with the ecology and ethics, why not go to Dominicks or Jewel for your limit, and let the other ones live. I see nothing wrong with taking fish such as Bass, Crappie, Panfish, etc., to there legal limit, but Trout is another story.

With the Trout Fishery in Illinois what it is, I would think we would cut a little slack, and let these fish live. At least for awhile.

My thoughts, my ideas, so don't take it personal. Would like to hear from some of you regarding this.

Don
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am a firm believer in CPR in most situations and I'm not familiar with the situation in the rest of the state, but in Northeast Illinois the catchable trout program is basically a" put & take" deal. It's a chance for your casual fishermen to go out and get some fish for the fry pan that normally would not be available. The way the fish are stocked is not really aimed at managing a population and ,at least in the Chicagoland Area, the fish's chance of survival in these lakes is pretty close to zero. I see it more as an opportunity to introduce people,especially kids, to enjoying local fishing.
GOFISHN2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2003, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Apparently, only a few of these lakes can sustain the fish through a year of hot summer temps and a possible long freeze (fish kill). Trout need cool temps and higher oxygen levels than other fish.

Also, the program is a DNR fund raiser. Your inland trout stamp purchases more trout than you can keep. I also believe it a great way to introduce youngsters to fishing and for many it is a good way to start the spring before the bass and panfish bite is on.

If the intent of DNR was not to establish a 'put and take' fishery, then the limit would be 1 or 2 fish per person.
T-time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Flyfisher,

I have to say that I agree with you. Being a member of Trout Unlimited, and a strict conservationist, I can say that I feel the "taking of limits" of these stocked trout is not right. Granted, most of the lakes and ponds that they stock in the spring and fall will not support these fish all year. These ponds and lakes really make no difference to me, but there are some streams that they stock them in that support Brown trout year round. There are other streams that I have explored in northern illinois that do have Browns, that aren't even considered for stocking of rainbows(mostly because they run through private property, and most people are under the impression that they are off limits--not exactly true).

I would really like to see Illinois make an effort to establish a cold-water fishery in some of the beautiful spring-fed streams that we have in the northern section of our state. I can tell you from experience that they do exist in this State, and they do stay cold enough to support Browns, and maybe even rainbows if given the chance.
SalmoDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

If there are spring streams as you say and I believe you, then I too would love to see IDNR make some effort to stock them also. They may be better sustaining than the lakes and ponds around Chicagoland. Why not? Great stream trout fishing can be found in NE Iowa and southern Wisconsin. Heck, there are even a few streams in NE Indiana with trout in them (I have heard).
T-time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in