Wading Boots Newbie Question - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wading Boots Newbie Question

I'm just getting back into creek/river fishing after a long break and back in the old days I had a trusty pair of neoprene waders with built-in rubber boots.

I'm in the market for a new setup and all the guides I see recommend the booty waders and buying separate wading boots.

This is an incredibly dumb question but wading boots aren't waterproof, right? Their purpose is more for the traction and ankle support? If I have a day where I might only be going ankle or knee deep and shorts will be fine, if I wear just these wading boots without the booty waders, my feet will be soaked, right? Do you wear socks with them then for warmth or how do your feet stay warm if the water is cold?

Thanks for the clarification, I'm seriously embarrassed to have to ask that but nothing I'm finding online is explicitly stating this. Probably because it's so obvious. But I want confirmation if you all can be so kind.
blarpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

My experience over last decade with a bps all in one combo has been good. I needed a new pair after 10 seasons last year. That being said I only used them in cold weather, otherwise shorts n a pair of keen water shoes with toe protector. I size up to accommodate layers. But, to try n answer your question I think u may get better support with wading boots, i can only speculate that the boots most likely get water inside them, so u most likely wear socks inside the pant portion of the combo....combos also seemed pricey
kinkaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

blarpo, waders are waterproof. And many are insulated for warmth. The better the quality the greater the cost. Lot's of people use "chest waders" I use "hip waders". I find chest waders cumbersome and a pain to put on whereas hip waders come up to mid thigh and attach to your belt. Check out both and see which you prefer.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarpu View Post

I'm in the market for a new setup and all the guides I see recommend the booty waders and buying separate wading boots.

This is an incredibly dumb question but wading boots aren't waterproof, right? Their purpose is more for the traction and ankle support? If I have a day where I might only be going ankle or knee deep and shorts will be fine, if I wear just these wading boots without the booty waders, my feet will be soaked, right? Do you wear socks with them then for warmth or how do your feet stay warm if the water is cold?

Wading boots aren't waterproof. They are worn to protect your feet and your waders from punctures and for traction. Without stockingfoot waders inside the boots your feet will get wet.
May never need to lie.
fishinnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips and info all!
blarpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have 3 pairs of waders. ALL are waterproof ! Why would someone buy waders to get wet ?
Old 06-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big saw View Post
I have 3 pairs of waders. ALL are waterproof ! Why would someone buy waders to get wet ?
Waders and wading boots are not the same. WADING BOOTS are ankle high and are worn over STOCKINGFOOT waders. The WADING BOOTS are not waterproof if worn alone.
May never need to lie.
fishinnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

For the best versatility get a pair of breathing stocking foot chest waders and insulate as needed , just as you would any other outdoor activity. So buy a pair with a bit of room to do so.
I have found that you are buying quality , but just as important with waders ****which WILL eventually leak*** you are also buying a warranty ( preferably lifetime) and customer service.
After over 30 years of personal wading I have found LL Bean very hard to beat, and not very expensive . Worth every penny.
Rich F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in