Vintage, or un-usual reels - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vintage, or un-usual reels

I'm just wondering if anybody here has any interesting reels they would like to share a photo of.

For the last few years, I've been collecting some vintage reels, and enjoy fishing with them. Nothing valuable, but I have a small collection of vintage Fly reels, spinning reels, bait casters, Spin casters, centerpins, mooching, ext. For me it just helps keep fishing interesting. I enjoy the learning curve that is required when fishing various styles of equipment, and love the feeling of catching a fish on a vintage reel.

I wanted to share my latest find, its two speed reel depending on which side you choose to crank, it casts like a Alvey, and has a on/off clicker, and a rim drag like a fly reel. I'm planning to do some catfishing with it next year, and I think it will be a fun reel to fish.

So here are the picks, If Dr.Suess ever designed a reel, it would probably look something similar to this.

If any of you fish with or collect any vintage reels, It would be cool to see some of your picks.
Carlisle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have many, many "vintage" and or unusual reels. Have some really old Pflueger supremes from the 30's and 40's that were passed on to me by my Grandfather. Also have all the original reels I used when learning fishing as a kid, including a bunch of Ambassadeurs from the 60's/70's (5000, 5500, 5500C, 6500) in all the various colors (Red, Green, Black, Silver). My old spinning reels include about a dozen of the the old Mitchell and Garcia Mitchell 300, 300C, 400, 308 and 408 series. Probably my favorites of the bunch are my Zebco Cardinal reels (the green and cream colored versions) in the 4 size and the 7 size. Used to use these with my Dad for shore casting for salmon back when I started doing this in my pre-teens days. For their time from what I recall, the drags and line capacity on those reels were considered unmatched.

Superfluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
MJB

Carlisle,

Like Superfluke I have a bunch of combos that I use throughout the year. I carry an old tackle box with me and fish old CCBC Pikies, Globes, Heddon Vamps etc. throughout the year. I think I have about 30-50 old setups in the garage.

Here is a picture of an old Pflueger reel and it's box.
http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee14 ... nt=050.jpg

MJB
EDIT... Mike, I made your post a direct link to Photobucket... It was the only way I could gt it to post... JKS
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
MJB

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee14 ... nt=051.jpg

EDIT... Same deal... JKS
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Vintage, or un-usual reels

if you want to add a 'rare' reel to your collection there was a bait shop owner in rockford that made his own spinning reels ,I believe they were called "cyclops" reels. He was kinda' old then and may have passed away by now,just a thought for an interesting illinois made reel.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a bunch of like new 80's Shimano Bantam, Bantamlight, and Lew's BB series reels. All for sale. Also matching Shimano Carbon Bantamlight "Bullwhip" rods, all like new.
Marabou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've got a Shakespeare 1956 baitcaster... I think it was called True Blue... Brand new, in the box with papers... Everything else I have is just old...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in