Does shocking fish kill them? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does shocking fish kill them?

We've read and I talked with anglers who tell horror stories about seeing dead fish at Tampier, and Heidecke after they are shocked. Anglers reported seeing huge Tampier walleye for years shocked at Tapier, only to see a bunch of them dead washed up on the shores later that day or the next day. Well, last week, my brother fished LaSalle seeing them shocking big 5 to about 20 pound stripers. He said they had the shocker on, were going really fast, as if to chase the big stripers away from the shores. Then the next few days, my brother goes from the fisherman's parking down the long road, and gets to the corner and sees dozens, if not hundreds of dead 5 to over 20 pound stripers all washed up on or near the shores in the corner. He says this happened when he used to fish Tampier, Heidecke, and happens almost every day after they shock LaSalle. If this is true, then a lot of fish are being killed by shocking methods. Is the electricity they use too strong? Are they too rough on the fish? Why also, my brother asks, do they appear to be very rough on these fish, and the next day it's obvious that there are a lot of dead trophy fish at these lakes mentioned? I'm NOT making this up, folks. We have seen many dead fish lunkers the same day or next day after they shock these waters.
cprfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

pictures? everyone carries a digital these days.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Pics? Ask some regulars

I've seendead fish, I've seen bucket dumpers.I've seen cleanup crews do virtually very little cleaning up forest preserve and state areas. Why does someone allways go, Got pictures? No I don't have pictures. I have discust in my mouth people people who are lazy or don't know what the heck they are doing on thier jobs. Yet, I have to prove something to you? How much do you pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I hope this is not because of the shocking, scary if it is. cprfish, why are your posts always so angry and antagonistic? The guy was just asking if you had any pictures of this.
dacas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now wait a minute. If the fish have to be stocked , they have to shock them so they can milk them and get their eggs. Some of them do die, so they can get millions of eggs and start another year class of fish. You stop this process and you won't have any fish to catch at all. It would be a safe bet that most fish that you or I catch were stocked. Now the lakes with natural reproduction without catch and release,can be over fished very easily. Very, very few stripers reproduce in fresh water.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Pics? Ask some regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprfish
I've seendead fish, I've seen bucket dumpers.I've seen cleanup crews do virtually very little cleaning up forest preserve and state areas. Why does someone allways go, Got pictures? No I don't have pictures. I have discust in my mouth people people who are lazy or don't know what the heck they are doing on thier jobs. Yet, I have to prove something to you? How much do you pay?
I've seen people raise a big stink about something they know nothing about. this day and age a picture to back up what or who you are accusing goes a long way in backing up your concerns. sorry that I upset your delicate feelings. You are the one that posted your claims, pictures can be used to help identify a possible cause. Iam sorry you are too lazy to take pictures. Or try to go investigate yourself by going directly to the source and try to come up with an answer. Instead of trying to get someone to immediately tell you what you want to hear. If you want to read an example of yelling fire when there was only smoke, go to the Musky forum and read the wakeman post. Have a nice day.

Edit: I forgot to add: You need to get paid to do something for conservation. That tells me a lot about your character.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default spoonman

u r a jerk. end of conversation. Why does it seem, that no matter what truuth in a contraversial subject on the web, (and I don;t just mean this web sight) does it seem there are people to defend the wrong doers. I've seen, my fishing friends have seen, my family have seen dead fish after shocking. Yet you gotta go and say I need proof of what I saw? Sometimes you do see things in life, not just in the outdoors so shocking, that you (me I mean) go on a web sight to report it. Isn't that what a news person would do, because it is his or her duty? I don't work for the DNR. I don't work for a news agency, network, tv, radio or other station. But, many, if not more than not (every time we see fisheries biologists shocking) we see these dead or dieing fish after shocking. It's like you people don't wanna believe first hand eye witness accouts of real events. I won't report this on an internet sight if it wasn't true. Lots of fish seem to die from electro-shocking, all over, Yet, I got to prove it to you? I don't think so. I think my going on here, or any other web sight proves there is a problem, (allegidly) and it is ov\bvious, that fish have been killed. I have notic\thing to prove. I am not not obligated to prove anything further. Yet, you and others won't accept it as being 100% truth, when someone like me, sees it, every time electro-shocking is done. Go waste you comments on someone who IS lieing. Seeing fish die because of electro-shocking is shocking to me, my friends who fish, my fishing family, and we don't make up fish stories, we catch them.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Usually when someone resorts to name calling their argument has fallen apart. Then you go after them personally to try to discredit them. You obviously did not post this to get opinions other than someone to back up as you said "my going on here, or any other web sight proves there is a problem, (allegidly)" and you resort to name calling to try to discredit anyone with a differing opinion.

Not that you will listen or read on, I will give you my experiences. I have seen MANY electro-shockings and have not seen Hundreds of dead fish that could be attributed to the shocking.

One year I was on vacation and planned on fishing a local lake. I started at the boat dock and worked my way up the bank. The previous day I was catching lots of bass on the same strectch. I was not catching anything and assumed I had fished it out the previous day. After a couple hours I round a point and see the DNR shocking the bank. I talk to them and I find out they had shocked the stretch I was fishing and were almost done. I talked to them about the shocking and suggested that they post something at the dock saying they are shocking certain areas. They said it should be business as usual the next day. I try it the next day and catch a few but not as good as two days previous, but no signs of dead fish. The following day it was better but had better luck in a different part of the lake.

I have also seen several shockings at other lakes and have not seen any massive piles of dead fish that you are "alleging". Am I lying? I would not ask or mention that because I have no question of my account."thou protests too much".

Now about the pictures. I have carried a camera when fishing since i was a kid. Everyone I know carries a camera for the big one and the possibility of catching a nice wildlife photo. all I asked was if you had any pictures, and you immediately go into defensive/attacking mode. I suggest if you want to be taken seriously that you focus on your "alleged" HUNDREDS of dead fish. If it upset you and your family so much why did you not call or email the DNR or bring a camera back to document it?

I was fishing Clinton one year when the reactor had an emergency shut down. A big area of the discharge froze over. I was down there a few days after they started back up and there were lots of dead fish. I TOOK PICTURES and went to the ranger station and they were aware of the fish kill. But they were very interested in the photo I took because it showed a wider variety of species that was effected. They went to take their own photos again.

Regards,
The Jerk
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have seen them shock up in WI before. I never seen any adverse effects. They actually have a hard time getting some of the larger fish because they are too deep/big to be affected by the shock. They normally set out the trap nets if they are serious about getting the larger gamefish.

I have seen plenty of fish kills out at Lasalle. It is a normal thing due to the exteme water temps. I would love to see a 20lb Hybrid out of there though. Heck, I would love to see at 10lb. With all the fish kills they are few and far between that size. Normally it is the bigger largemouth/smallmouth/and Hybrids that affected by the kill. That is why 90% of the largies anglers catch are 12-14''s and the hybrids mostly run 16-20''s. The year classes of larger fish normally don't survive well year to year. Heck I can remember in the mid 90's when you could catch 7 or 8 pound eyes out of there. A few fish kills and they were all gone. Just a side effect of fishing an otherwise great lake.

The hybrids also go through the motions for spawning, but successful recruitment is slim to none. The DNR stocks it and most likely gets their eggs and sperm through shocking. That in turn keeps the fishery alive.

That may not be what you want to hear, but that is my objective opinion.
One more thing, I believe you when you say you witnessed some type of fish kill, but please take pictures of the 20 lb. Hybrids some time. I gots to see dat.

Matt
FishinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BTMBASS Send a message via Yahoo to BTMBASS

I'd imagine that for the bigger fish they have to use more voltage (or amps? think its volts) to shock them; if thats the case the smaller fish might be in danger; but I'd think the mishandling of the fish is the real killer not the actual shocking.
BTMBASS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in