top water - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2002, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Has anybody ever had luck using buzz or popping baits in or around diversey or burnham,monroe harbors
rockbassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2002, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey Rock, in the past I have found some action on chug bugs, spit'n image and plastic baits around Diversey. The only problem is the gulls may cause you to waste many casts by having to quick retrieve the baits before they swallow it. Try weed edges around deeper water early and late and over shallow thick gunk mid day. For the mid day gunk tossing go weedless plastic. For me it has always been a hit or miss presentation, but a pretty cool change of pace. Good luck, report back.
Lodzop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2002, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Amen-years ago we used to launch out of Cal Harbor and work the walls with chug bugs..have you ever had a smallie bust up on a topwater? It's awsome. Had to get out before the sun popped up though.. No such action in the last 5 years though-something changed, water clarity or whatever. Can't get bit on the top anymore...or maybe it's me!
Mike Skwira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2002, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hello guys! I have been using top water for many years and there are only a few prime areas that they work extremely well. Everyone fishes them to shallow. With the water clarity being so good and the smallies being able to see a long way, give open deep water a try and you might be surprised on how far a smallie will go to attack a bait in deep water. I learned this trick down in the south impoundments with clear water in the dog days of summer. 30-50 feet water depths. Through a big wake and noise maker and bass will come a long way to explode on it. I have caught smallies in 20 feet of water and more using this method. Do not be afraid to try it, you might be surprised. MOJO and remember to "Fish the Magnificent Mile"
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2002, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I agree with working deeper areas for the smallmouth, but would like to clarify my suggestion of shallow gunk fishing. In the area Rock is interested there is a pretty good population of shallow water largemouth that can be found in darker weedier areas. The fish aren't 'specially long but can be fun and sometimes (past xperience) fairly consistent. I also forgot to mention sluggos for the gunk areas.
Lodzop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2002, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here is a suggestion that I have used in extremly heavy slop. Try Floating Worms without any weight and drag it accros and let it sit for long periods.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2002, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
On 2002-06-19 09:55, Mojo wrote:
Here is a suggestion that I have used in extremly heavy slop. Try Floating Worms without any weight and drag it accros and let it sit for long periods.
I rocked them in Waukegan using this technique last night.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2002, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

pic of a chug-bug smallie caught in 20 feet of water at least a 100 yards from any visable structure. navy pier is to the top left of the photo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skitterpop on 2002-06-19 15:18 ]</font>
skitterpop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2002, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for all the tips got to try the floating worm. see you from shore.
rockbassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in