NE Indiana waters - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to WalleyeBrad
Default NE Indiana waters

Hey everyone..

I might be moving the the Ft Wayne area soon, and was wondering if there are any decent lakes in that area...other then Lake Erie......lol
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: NE Indiana waters

My girlfriend in college was from Angola. There are a ton of good lakes over there. Good smallmouth, largemouth, muskie, pike, walleye even nice trout in a few. Pigeon river also has some decent trout fishing. You'd be about 2hrs from Michigan City and about the same to Erie.
southshore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello walleyebrad if you are looking for good fishing northern indiana is great for fishing. Im a member of a bass club from Decatur we are looking for some new members if you are interested in a good time on the water. Were not a big club so we fish alot of the less presured lakes. Some big ones too like wawasee and st clair. Get back with me if you want to know more.
decbassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Turkey Lake has Walleyes.
Jim22Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is an old thread, but you never know what might be useful...

I grew up in Ft Wayne and in Steuben County to the north, and there is more excellent fishing there than one would think, and very few private lakes. Clear Lake (east of Fremont) was once the premier fishing lake in NE Indiana, and that's saying a lot. with about 3000 acres of crystal clear water, gravel bottom, huge shallow flats and holes approaching 100 feet, there's no limit to what you might want to fish for successfully. At one time, Clear Lake held the state record for Walleye, Northern, and Rainbow Trout at the same time.

The Lake James chain is another gold mine for fishing, with my personal favorite being Snow Lake. Once upon a time it wasn't uncommon to hear of 16"+ crappie being hauled through the ice. Not sure what has happened there lately.

Chekc any map of the area; even the smaller, lesser known lakes have their value. There's a little pond called Mirror Lake east of Clear lake that has public access for a non-motorized boat (it's so small you can row across it in a matter of 5 minutes or less without breaking a sweat), and I've caught numerous 4 Lb LM bass and many bull gills and red-ears.

Don't ignore the Fawn River or Pigeon River either. The Fawn was always great for Northern, and the Pigeon for trout.

Take your pick, you can't really go wrong.
Halfwaythere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in