Port of Indiana 3-28-03 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2003, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Port of Indiana 3-28-03

Tried the Port today for Coho and found that they just aren't in yet. I got there about 7, a little late because they had Eastbound 94 shut down due to an accident and I had to stop and buy my new IN license. Anway, I tried squid under one float and nite crawler under another. Managed only a Goby on the squid. The wind was blowing so hard that after only about an hour, I gave up on the floats and stated casting spoons. Started using a 2/5 oz. gold/red Little Cleo and right away hooked up with a nice Brown about 5-6 lbs., but unfortunately I had forgotten the net. While screwing around trying to land it, it did the ole quick release on me right at my feet. The wind was blowing so hard and with the rain, I was pretty much fishing all alone. About a half hour later, a guy comes down by me and lands about a 7lb. Brown on a Blue/Silver KO Wobbler, 1/2 oz. on about his third cast (I helped him land it with his net). Another guy was fishing on the inside back in toward the marina and he got the only Coho I saw caught all morning. He also picked up a Brown about 3 lbs. (which he gave to me, thanks!) on a 2/5 oz. silver/green cleo. Quite awhile passed without much happening except I got to watch the Port police arrive with about 4 vehicles, lights flashing and yell over a bull horn to two guys in a boat fishing inside the harbor. They were not real happy. After another half hour or so, I was about to give up when I finally connected again about 10 o'clock. The guy who I helped net his fish earlier returned the favor and did a nice job of landing my only fish of the day, a Brown that went 9 lb. 7 oz. on my digital scale. A big thank you to the carpenter on his day off who helped me out. He said he was going to check out CLF, so if you read this Thanks! Overall, I think it's still a week or two away until we see steady Coho action, but with this rain, you never know. Here's a pic of my fish, taken by the carpenter.
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2003, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice fish Tubes!! Happy to hear the old standby spoons are still working
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2003, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

nice fish tubes, I wanted to get out today, but not sure hwere to go. The port(for coho) or the Fox, I took a gamble and hit the fox. Got into some crappies, so it looks like I made the right bet.

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Tubes
Nice fish, I drove by there on sat and the rocks were full must of been 8 guys standing down there. I had no licence yet so I moved on. Had a fun day at the creeks though. Saw four Nice fish come out of the trail.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Looks like I'm making the return trip either Thursday or Friday morning. Looking for a partner if anyone wants to hook up.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

What about tommorrow/
Old 04-02-2003, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry, I have a home inspection (what I do for a living) in the morning. Looks like Friday is going to be the day for me.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'll let you know
Old 04-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well things change quickly when you have your own business. Looks like it's going to be tomorrow (Thur). I ll be down there about 7:00 am give or take. If you can amke it that would be cool!
Old 04-04-2003, 06:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

sorry did not make it to the port on wed we went to the fox for some wally time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in