Valli Produce Walleye Review - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Valli Produce Walleye Review

So a friend of mine tells me he seen Wild caught Canadian Walleye fillets for 7.99 a lb

I was like you gotta be freaking kidding me. That is dirt cheap so Sunday I take a ride to Arlington Heights location and low and behold there they are. Ask the guy when did this batch arrive and he tells me Sat, so I scoop up 4lbs and away I go like a thief in the night or so I thought.

Arrived at home all excited started battering up 2 lbs to fry for some guests. We start eating them and all of us were pretty disappointed. Had a fishy taste to them and also like they were dry. I have fried fish for years and never seen fish come out like this. After the first batch I tried to tinker around leaving them in sooner/longer. Nothing changed but even with that they had a illinois river type fishy taste.

Shop and Save has walleye but a lot more coin but they tasted great. You also see the fish on the ice and they fillet them for you or you can do it yourself. The ones at Valli were all filleted.

I guess its true what they say, you get what you pay for.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
washhusky102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dare I ask why you would purchase fish at a grocery store? Run out of freezer stock?

I prefer to Die on my feet than Live on my knees

Quote:
2sac is not bassalarro material.
2sac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
Dare I ask why you would purchase fish at a grocery store? Run out of freezer stock?
Walleyes, yes.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Are you sure they weren't whileago caught instead of wild caught?
Choupiquer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupiquer View Post
Are you sure they weren't whileago caught instead of wild caught?
lmao
Old 03-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I also am out of freezer stock. Ran out last year. While at Meijers last fall they had yellow and white perch, Canadian caught. I bought the last of the yellow, and some white. The yellow as expected was great, the white not so much. I wonder why. The guy at the fish counter told me they cannot get the yellow in winter, because of the ice. How the heck can they get the white then?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most perch come from Erie. Did you all happen to hear whats going on on Lake Winnipeg? Commercial walleye fisherman have supposedly decimated the smaller better eating fish. Now they are harvesting the big ones. Which they get paid way less for. Some of these fish are from a great 2004 spawn. Look into it. That may explain why the funk.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCreel View Post
Most perch come from Erie. Did you all happen to hear whats going on on Lake Winnipeg? Commercial walleye fisherman have supposedly decimated the smaller better eating fish. Now they are harvesting the big ones. Which they get paid way less for. Some of these fish are from a great 2004 spawn. Look into it. That may explain why the funk.
The fillets I purchased from valli were not big thick fillets. They looked to be in the 2-3 lb range max. Now a place near me called fish time near Devon and Cumberland ave have smoked walleye and the pieces are huge Never tried it and never will

Thanks for the 411 ufcreel on whats happening up north
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Gotta trim the brownish/pink meat off the back of the fillet to get rid of the fishy taste, Andy. Or soak em in milk. I trim this meat off the back of all my fillets from the Illinois, and they taste fine. They're obviously not nearly as good from the Illinois River as they are from inland lakes in Wisconsin or Canada or something, or even Heidecke or the Wolf River, etc.. But if you trim that brownish/pinkish meat, then you eliminate all that fishy taste. Just a tip from someone who fishes the Illinois regularly for walleye.

You never called me btw. Should have gotten out with us yesterday morning. We only managed 3 keeper-sized fish - a 15, a 16.5, and a 17. All three were fat males. But we caught about 15-20 fish. Bite slowed down with the tournaments the past couple weekends beating up on the river. Water temps also dropped like 10 degrees in a week with the snow melt-off, which never helps the bite. MWC tournament fished on Saturday and Sunday, plus the Carpenter's and IWT the previous weekend just beat up the river. One boat on Saturday fishing the MWC actually picked up a 7 1/2lb and 8 1/2lb walleye... 20 miles apart! They ended up winning the MWC tourney, obviously.

Fish were found deeper than I expected, though, and deeper than in the tournament on Friday and Saturday. All of ours came out of 20-24 fow, pulling bait on floaters until about 11:30am. Then we pulled cranks and put another keeper in the boat and some more shorts.

We caught some fish, and it was a gorgeous day to be on the water, though.

You end up getting out anywhere yesterday Andy?

Last edited by pezdek1; 03-21-2017 at 06:26 AM.
pezdek1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Vato, we have been cleaning Walleyes longer then the first time you pissed your pants. Met many people along the way and have zipped the fillets, walleye cheecks " which my brother has a fillet knife with the back side being a spoon to scoop out the cheeck" etc etc. But thanks anyways on the cleaning tips all the same

Never made it out on Sunday and am not happy about it. Got a little on Sat and that's all she wrote. Once again am looking to get out this entire weekend upcoming.

Thanks for your report Very informative and well put together. Great read homie. Keep em coming

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in