good spot for cats? - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2003, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Otto in the c-ville? Where is that? Can you be more specific?

Thanks
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2003, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Otto is a company on the east side of the river of the C'Ville(Carpentersville,IL) dam...There's some side streets you'd have to take to get there...Sorry I don't know the names of the streets but it's not very hard to find...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2003, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Don't forget Skokie lagoons - Cook Co forest preserve info mentions this as spot with nice average channel cat size....

there's the DesPlaines river too ... you can walk along and look for spots with current and wood cover; or spots where the river gets narrow that has current.... I fish there at lunch further north, but there's access off milwauke rd N of Euclid, river road S of euclid (i think) and on Milwaukee N of palatine rd ..

shawn
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

I kinda live in your area so ill tell you were I go catting.I agree with Skokie Lagoons being a good spot. Use stinkbait and livers. I really wouldnt recomend using Crawlers anywhere for cats unless you know that cats are the only things swimming around where you are fishing.

I also go to the fox in Elgin. Just take 90 west to rt31 south. Keep going south untill you find public access. It will take you about 50 min. I usually park by the dam and fish down stream of the dam. Lots if public access. As far as Im concerned, you wont catch a cat on worms there unless your lucky. the drum are viscous. Use traditional catfish baits like stink, livers cutbait. I havent been there in a while as I was out of town so I dont know how its been.

Also Busse is good for Cats use the same cat tactics. For Busse, take 90 west to Arlington Hts Rd. go Left off the ramp on A H road a few miles until you see the preserve on you right.

No If you really want the nice cats, go to the IL river. It is about 1.5 hours away but well worth it. Its were I got my catfish start. You will catch big cats all day long. If you are interested just say so and I post more details.

Mike
Mike48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2003, 12:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes please post more info on the IL river. I went to Skokie Lagoons yesterday. I caught some Largemouth, Crappie, and Blue Gill. I always go to the the same spot, and caught a couple of bullhead but never channels. How do you guys setup the hook and weights for channels? I was thinking of using nightcrawlers, but i'll try something new if I have to. Does ED Shirley sell Sonnys bait? Thanks for all the help guys.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2003, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

There are many cat rigs. I would use a slip rig, sinker, split shot, hook. You will almost always get bullheads while fishing for channels if bullheads live in the same water (which is almost always true). If you use nightcrawlers you will get a lot of bullheads. Use chicken livers, on a size 4 treble. Try cut bait too. If you want to catch a giant channel cat go to Manitoba, Canada, Red River. A 20lb. channel cat is common. Some are in the 30's. Its just like a 20 hour drive so...
channel cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2003, 09:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default bait and place

just wanted to throw a little info in for those interested. anyways, i am from virginia, and heres how we caught our cats....we got to the river about three hours before dark, on a tuesday or wednesday night, never a weekend, too many people and also the cats always take the weekends off. so we took a cast net and cast into little streams feeding into the river, sometimes even in the river itself. i am sure there are plenty of places to get cast nets (walmart), and there are websites with info on casting regulations in illinois. but whatever you catch, make sure its not a game fish. keep the suckers and chubs and shad. then you wait til it gets dark and start fishing. send me an email and i can elaborate. but i had best luck hooking chubs through lips. six inch chubs always landed the big boys.
shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2003, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT
Yes please post more info on the IL river. I went to Skokie Lagoons yesterday. I caught some Largemouth, Crappie, and Blue Gill. I always go to the the same spot, and caught a couple of bullhead but never channels. How do you guys setup the hook and weights for channels? I was thinking of using nightcrawlers, but i'll try something new if I have to. Does ED Shirley sell Sonnys bait? Thanks for all the help guys.

Please let me know more info on the IL river as well. Ed Shirley had Sonny's bait the last time i went there. I want to catch some cats but have no luck at skokie lagoons.
Catfish-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 09:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Default Ill river cats.....

Go to Starved Rock or Marseilles and fish from shore. I was out there this weekend and there were a lot of folks fishing from shore. Seen a lotta folks with the cast nets too

I55 S to 80W to Marseilles Exit, Ottawa Exit or Utica (Starved Rock) exit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in