Carp fishing - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Carp fishing

Thinking about trying carp fishing this year, can anyone recommend places and equipment? Iím using hair rigs, and leads. Only went out once so far and only caught one catfish. Any help would be appreciated.
rpsjpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Get yourself a big treble hook and a can of corn. Load the hook with a bunch of corn and let it sit on the bottom. You will catch a ton of carp. Best place is a river system
Old 04-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I fish carp for fun; one of the biggest fish you can catch easily. Once in a while I've taken them home to cook, just to see if they can be made palatable (they can, just takes some work).

In the spring spawn, you can use corn or worms or whatever. They aren't too picky. Try and fish an area which is shallow and flat and has little or no current. My favorite carp spawning spot is on the leeward side of an island in the Fox river. Last I was out was last weekend, and they weren't spawning yet, and they were concentrated in the deeper parts of the river.

Anyways, slow moving water is usually a good bet regardless of the time of year. Chum a few handfuls of corn in a spot which you know it'll fall on top of where you put your bait.

As for bait, I prefer hair rigs with corn on, but this is very problematic on rivers like the Chicago river with a ton of catfish and bullhead. Odds are you'll get more gut hooked bullhead than carp--you may want to switch to another bait, or a treble hook if that proves to be the case. Some people have suggested using Mcdonald's fries or Cherry tomatoes, but I haven't had any luck with these yet.

One guy on here I think said he gets into the really big carp in the Chicago harbors using roe from panfish he's caught. Basically, tying it up in a spawn bag. Makes sense, although I haven't tried it myself (yet).

Fox river, Chicago river are fantastic for Carp. Algonquin dam is dynamite if the water is low, fish under the part of the dam which has stopped flowing. The backflow part of the St. Charles dam is usually good for carp and catfish fishing a nightcrawler on a bottom rig, but I sometimes get smallmouth and walleye the same way there. Chain 'O Lakes I'm told is good too. Mazonia literally has a lake called "Carp Lake", but I haven't fished it.

I also walk the banks of a creek near me, because during the spring spawn big carp move up and down the banks of the creeks rooting around for worms. I have caught some beautiful fish just by sneaking up and plopping a worm in front of one.

If you're using a regular hook covered in corn, I recommend 6-10lb line, since visibility is a factor. If you're using a hair rig, it doesn't seem to matter at all. I have a heavy rod with 30lb. rod and I got to fishing hair rigs on it out of laziness. Works just fine; they aren't looking at the hook anyways, they're paying attention to the hair with bait.

Really though, it's hard to find a body of water in IL without carp upwards of 7-10 pounds in size.
habeebtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, sounds like great advice!
rpsjpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've been carp fishing for a couple of years now. I live in the Northwest Suburbs, so my go-to place is Fox Lake, though as mentioned above the Fox River is a great resource as well.

When I fish I pack around a feeder with groundbait/method mix. I get excellent results with Wacker Pack from wackerbaits.com. You just mix in a can of creamed corn and a liquid flavor (I do well with Vanilla or Pineapple), mix it up and you're ready. It keeps well too if you have leftover after a session. On my rig a stick a piece of corn-- a corn pip -- (also from wackerbaits) with a couple of plastic pieces of corn for buoyancy. I hear that cherry tomatoes work as well, as mentioned above, though haven't used them before. I guess I'm a corn snob! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by Mmmbaraccuda; 04-30-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Mmmbaraccuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have been fishing for carp for a while now. I just moved to IL so i was on a lookout for a good spot in the woodridge area.
Werever you go out carping make sure to chum the water. It gives better results. I prefer a mix of oatmeal with pineapple flavor or strawberry. 2 easy ways to get this..... crystal light has some powder that yoy add to water to make juice (choose strawberry) or mix the oatmeal with strawberry or pineapple FANTA instead of water. Chum the water then use hair rig and corn or for big carp go with boilies.
Try to find little to no current and you will jave a great time.
Tibor99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in