||07-20-2003 11:20 PM
Need facts on fishing lake michigan w/nephew. Help!!!
New here but I figured I'd give the forums a try. I'm planning on taking my nephew out, along with my brother for his first fishing trip. He's five and my brother would like me to share some of my interests with his son. Sort of an "uncle bonding" type of thing. This will be a long post so thanks if you hang in there with me!
Anyway, I've never fished the lakefront here in Chicago and was figuring we'd take my nephew to the coastline over by the Shedd Aquarium. That way, we could fish for a while then go over to the Shedd and see the new exhibit which should blow him away.
I really have no idea how to go about fishing in Chicago, rules, regs, etc....It's easier for me to know what I'm doing when I go away to fish than knowing what to do in my own home town. :-P
Now to the questions:
1. Are there any rules or regs I need to be aware of for fishing off the coastline of LM, especially in the area either North of, or between the Shedd and the Planitarium?
2. I've got this years Illinois license. I'd assume my brother would need a license to fish but does my five year old nephew need one? If yes, where's a good place to go for a license here in the city. I live in the West Loop area. (I know it sounds silly I don't know this stuff, but I usually get a license at a bait shop during our yearly innaugurual bass trip early in the year)
3. What are the fish limits? I'd assume LM, especially in the area I'm thinking would be simple Perch. Yes?
4. Where is there a good bait shop in the area? I'd assume I can use crawlers effectively in LM, or is there a better bait I should consider?
5. We're planning on going during the middle of the week, maybe during the afternoon. Is there a better time of day to go?
Is there anything else that I need to consider that I haven't covered? Any help that anyone could give, pointers, suggestions, etc...would be well appreciated. It's my first "kid" fishing trip since fishing with my own dad. I'm flying this one by the seat of my pants.
Thanks to all those that can help! I really appreciate it.