Need facts on fishing lake michigan w/nephew. Help!!! - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need facts on fishing lake michigan w/nephew. Help!!!

Hello everyone,

New here but I figured I'd give the forums a try. I'm planning on taking my nephew out, along with my brother for his first fishing trip. He's five and my brother would like me to share some of my interests with his son. Sort of an "uncle bonding" type of thing. This will be a long post so thanks if you hang in there with me!

Anyway, I've never fished the lakefront here in Chicago and was figuring we'd take my nephew to the coastline over by the Shedd Aquarium. That way, we could fish for a while then go over to the Shedd and see the new exhibit which should blow him away.

I really have no idea how to go about fishing in Chicago, rules, regs, etc....It's easier for me to know what I'm doing when I go away to fish than knowing what to do in my own home town. :-P

Now to the questions:

1. Are there any rules or regs I need to be aware of for fishing off the coastline of LM, especially in the area either North of, or between the Shedd and the Planitarium?

2. I've got this years Illinois license. I'd assume my brother would need a license to fish but does my five year old nephew need one? If yes, where's a good place to go for a license here in the city. I live in the West Loop area. (I know it sounds silly I don't know this stuff, but I usually get a license at a bait shop during our yearly innaugurual bass trip early in the year)

3. What are the fish limits? I'd assume LM, especially in the area I'm thinking would be simple Perch. Yes?

4. Where is there a good bait shop in the area? I'd assume I can use crawlers effectively in LM, or is there a better bait I should consider?

5. We're planning on going during the middle of the week, maybe during the afternoon. Is there a better time of day to go?

Is there anything else that I need to consider that I haven't covered? Any help that anyone could give, pointers, suggestions, etc...would be well appreciated. It's my first "kid" fishing trip since fishing with my own dad. I'm flying this one by the seat of my pants.

Thanks to all those that can help! I really appreciate it.
cisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 03:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need facts on fishing lake michigan w/nephew. Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisbell
1. Are there any rules or regs I need to be aware of for fishing off the coastline of LM, especially in the area either North of, or between the Shedd and the Planitarium?
perch season is closed for the month of July. Large and small mouth are catch and release only

Quote:
2. I've got this years Illinois license. I'd assume my brother would need a license to fish but does my five year old nephew need one? If yes, where's a good place to go for a license here in the city. I live in the West Loop area. (I know it sounds silly I don't know this stuff, but I usually get a license at a bait shop during our yearly innaugurual bass trip early in the year)
Yes your broth will need a license, but his son will not. 6 and under do not need a license

Quote:
3. What are the fish limits? I'd assume LM, especially in the area I'm thinking would be simple Perch. Yes?
Perch season is closed until August 1, large and small mouth are catch and release only. Rock bass there is no limit

Quote:
4. Where is there a good bait shop in the area? I'd assume I can use crawlers effectively in LM, or is there a better bait I should consider?
Henrys on 31st and canal would be good. There is also park bait at montrose

Quote:
5. We're planning on going during the middle of the week, maybe during the afternoon. Is there a better time of day to go?
stick around until sun set and you should be rewarded

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2003, 06:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

You asked about rigging setups. The easiest and most effective would be a slipbobber setup. Start about 3 1/2 feet down and adjust until you find the area that the fish are hitting at. Use as small a split shot as possible to keep the bait down.
As for bait, Fatheads are another alteriative that can be very effective.
I would suggest that you have your Lake Michigan Salmon Stamp, just in case there is a Brown that decides it likes your offering, or any other Salmonid for that manner.
Make sure that you have your insect repellent, unfortunately it is West Nile Virus time of year.
Have a great time!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in