ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

Tournament fishing..I have a dream...a $10K Walleye?

808 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MrBass 
#1 ·
God knows the competitive nature of tournament fishing has gotta be tough. And, just every schlub who casts a line thinks he got the potential to win the big check (like me alla the Monkees "Daydream Beliver").As for me I consider it the lotto. Can't win if you don't play.

Has anyone gotten into one of these fishing tournaments, knowing full well the chances of getting the fat check are nearly impossible, but a helluva lot better than the schmuck casting from the dock on shore?

One such contest is next month (ill river). Entry fee is $250 a boat, kinda steep I guess. How does somebody get involved in this, other than joining a club?

TOW is important. But I guess there aren't any "How to get into a fishing tournament for Dummies" Book. eh?

comments welcome.

#3 ·
Schror,
You sound like you have mentally defeated yourself before ever getting started. :cry:
Your chances of cashing a good check depends on your skill level, knowledge of the Walleyes seasional patterns, knowledge of the local tournament waters and a little luck thrown in for good measure. The first thing you need is a positive mental additude going into any competition. If you dont think you have a chance to win you never will.
You can get into walleye tournament fishing for not a lot of money by fishing as a co-angler in the Wall Mart RCL Walleye fishing circuit.
Fish as a co-angler for a season or two untill you gain a little confidence and your fishing knowledge and skill level goes up. Then you may be ready to compete with the big boys..
Feel free to email me and I'll give you the information on how to get started in the Wall Mart Tournament circuit.
If you like to kick back and have a relaxing fun day on the water then competitive fishing is probably not for you.

#4 ·
M_ komo,
I checked the information on the RCL walleye tourny circuit and the entry fee for the co angler side was a lot more than I thought. But so are the payouts. I guess 250.00 a team for the governors cup tourny is not so bad after all..Good luck.

#5 ·
Thanks guys....will keep it in mind...

nothings EVER easy. Heck, I can't remember the last time something was easy (maybe my boys birth, but that's another story).

Thanks for the tips and I will poke around.

Good fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.