8/30 Report: Launched @ Illini, fishing was fair - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 8/30 Report: Launched @ Illini, fishing was fair

Let me first start by saying what class joint. No problems launching, good ramp, great amenities, good people. Figured the cool whether would cut down some of the yahoos, and maybe kick the fish in the pants.

Yahoos, down, fishing weak to fair. If there were writing a check for the most sheephead, I'd get it. Caught a big one, a few smaller ones, 1 flathead, 1channel, and some bluegills. Overall, nice day on the water, fishing could have been better.

Worked the bend on both side about 1 or 2 upstream. Spotted lots of shad on the depth finder but couldn't get nuthin to bite. Thought I had a nice rig. Trolled with a bottom bouncer and 4 feet of leader attached to a floating/rattling shad rap. Trolled up and down marking bait fish, and bigger fish 4-5 feet off bottom. Changed lures to shad rap, then orange rap, and nuthin. Finally, moved to fuzzygrub with a bit of nightcrawler and caught my fish. Lost a few large ones, so don't know what they were.

Bend looked promising, but I sure do miss the wingdams of the mighty mississippi.

Was this a bad strategy? Should have went with the jig/minnow, but didn't pick up minnows (duh!). Want to hit it again, early next sunday. Could use a tip or two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2003, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

What did the falt head come on and how big was it?
bigfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2003, 08:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default flathead was small...

both channels and flatheads were small, ie 1-2 lbs. All caught on jig/nightcrawler casted towards shore.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

MK is Illini boat ramp upstream of the Marseilles locks or is it on the Ottawa side?
Rangerdeepv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default upstream

At the launch upstream is your route to morris (or senaca I think is next). Downstream is the dam and ottowa. Ottawa has a nice city launch (free) that puts you pretty close to the dam, but I haven't heard about how the launch is. Water is probably shallow being so close to the dam.

I may give Peru/Lasalle a shot in a few weeks. The farther south (and west) the better fishing.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone for all the information, I hope to soon try it. Wondering if we'll ever get some (enough to get the rivers flowing) rain. Maybe try it sometime next week.
bigfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in