One Laker please - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default One Laker please

Hey gang....
I've never had the "grand slam" on the lake. The fish that has always alluded me is the Laker. I've caught them on inland lakes, but never on Lake Michigan. I've tried what I'd call all the tried and true methods, but those methods are for inland lake fishing. What's the trick on the big lake? What works for y'all? Thanks in advance...
Chris
MrWalleye73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Try running a white fly behind a chrome dodger with a 24" lead,down where your deeper marks appear on the sonar screen, keep your speed on the slow side also. This works for me, especially when I`m not trying to catch them!
"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim
Old 09-05-2003, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

"I want to catch a laker"...that is something you dont here too often. I have gotton them on the dog bone and monkey puk spoons latley

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2003, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
ted

well, today must be my lucky day... got two lakers (the limit)... within about 15 minutes.

about 10 miles off willmette, maybe 12. 125 - 130 FOW, downriggers at 115 and 100. lakers hit on a green & white fly with silver tinsel behind a green twirling dodger. only about 30 ft behind the ball. 1.8 to 2.1 MPH. nice fish, about 20" long, nice eating size.

so, i set the rods again, and trolled over the same spot. double on, same rigger! since i was alone, i grabbed the rod that was zinging drag, the 100 ft deep set, which turned out to be a beaut of a king. 30 inches long. (i don't have a scale on board, stupid me, what should that guy weigh this time of year? nice and fat!)

the surprize was that once i boated the king, the other rod (115 ft down) still had the fish on, and it turned out to be my second laker. same set up as the first. (BTW, the king came in on a blue/green fly behind a chrome dodger.)

my disappointment was that i seemed to mark a lot of fish about 60 ft down over 125 to 80 FOW, and quite a few at 20 - 25 ft down. but couldn't touch a one of them. any idea what they were, and what would have convinced them they were hungry?
ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default I gotta

It a pride thing with me. Hate to say that I haven't caught something. I'm a multi-species fisherman, and I've caught one of everything in freshwater except for.....a great lakes Laker. I've even caught a sturgeon and a mooneye. Thanks for the tips. I just need to get out without my old man on board, that way I can send one down towards the bottom.
Chris
MrWalleye73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in