Algonquin Dam report...(giving up on flatheads for the year) - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2003, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Algonquin Dam report...(giving up on flatheads for the year)

Fished for about an hour and a half. I got my dip worms tangled. I get bit by the misquitos! Then the cast net got stuck on the dip worms... Then I twisted my ankle. The water is so low you can see rock stretches at the middle of the pool with people standing on them! The water isn't flowing threw one dam. Then I got someone elses hook caught in my hand while throwing the cast net. The hook was rusty, and I didn't have my tetnis shot yet, so my mom is taking me to the doctor... **** dam...
channel cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2003, 10:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

So in other words you had fun because you had the opportunity to fish. :wink:

Thanks,
Brandyn
BrandynS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2003, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Sorry to here that cc. Hey tomorrow is another day, you may look at it differently in the morning :wink:

Bob
Old 09-07-2003, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think most of us have had days similair to yours. Just chalk it up to one of those days and try again so other time. I told you water was low.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

It was extremely low, people were standing on rocks that lead out to the middle of the pool... Today I might go fishing...
channel cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Earlier this year in about Febuary I dropped a pair of polarized sunglasses in the river. But soon later in the evening slipped on something and filled my waiders. That is not all though. My waiders were full of frozen water and I had to pry them off because my feet would not come out of the boots. I think Brandyn can recall how cold it was that day. I remember it being about 20 degrees. I did get to go fishing and got some walleye.

That was my horrible experience

Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Funny Justin. What a great day in my view. :wink: Well, sorry about you falling in and all, but we agreed it was kinda funny. I was just standing throwing a twister tail looking around. I turned to see what Justin was up to and he was reaching in the water. He yelled out, I lost my glasses. So we continued fishing. I looked over again and seen him just going about fishing as usual. About 3 seconds later I look over only to see a dark figure in the water with its head sticking out. I thought to myself, whhat the **** is that? Its a deer! But this was no deer. Out of the darkness the rest of the body emerged out of the water and it just so happened to be Justin. We think it may have been a Flathead he stepped on, for we stepped on a lot of things that winter in the deeper holes that moved from under our feet.

I filled my waders for the first time this year. Not once, but three days in a row I believe. Twice just slipping down with only my arm and one side of my body and leg gettign wet, and the last time I was with Nick and fell in in about three feet over water and couldn't get to my feet so my waders filled up pretty good. Stopped fishing? No way. Stayed under the bridge next to a fire and casted lures out. It was about 10-20 degrees out and I had no shirt on, just my waders and the soaked long underwear and sweat pants. Catch anything? No, but an experience I had to go through and now I will know what to do the next time that happens. :wink:

Channel, keep it up for the Flatheads. It sounds like you havn't made many trips. That is what Flathead fishing is about here on the Fox. You have to put a lot of time and effort into it. Justin and I probably Flathead fished over 30 times this year. Did we catch fish every night? No. Did we catch big fish every night? No. The average fish was around 2-3 pounds. However, we did get several 8 pounders and I got a 43 inch-35 pounder and Justin got a 36 inch, 26 pounder. That one fished made up for all the trips we made and all the sleep we lost over them.

I hope you dont give up, at least give it 4-5 more tries before the snow hits. The fall bite should be alright. You may have to stay out and put your limit of poles out, the opportunity is there for ya.

Good luck,
Brandyn
Old 09-08-2003, 09:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chuck
Default Tips on wading

Hi Brandyn
I had my waders filled with water when I was fishing a lake in Wisconsin. After that I use to put a belt around my waders, at a little higher than my normal belt line. This way if I slipped, I would get some seepage of water in my boots, but not anything to worry about. Did you ever try that. It worked for me.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2003, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nope, never tried it. It would probably be very un comfortable with my waders. The big Hodgeman Camo ones... lol :wink: Thanks for the tip, I will probably try it out once and do it always if its not too bad.

Thanks
Brandyn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in