opening day - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

Complete sponsor list

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
tm2

Default opening day

Did anyone have any luck on opening day?
I will be heading up to central michigan on fri.
The guy i will be hunting with saw 4 small bucks
tonight. He said it was cold and very windy. he was
hunting a field edge and didnt see any deer til almost dark.
I am thinking of hunting deeper in the timber.
What would you guys do?
tm2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2003, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Got my first bow kill deer in 19 years . A nice doe from Grundy county.
mikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2003, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Saw a descent eight pointer but decided to let him walk. I know that their is a much larger deer in the area. Gonna try again Saturday. Good luck guys
Pinks 99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2003, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Boy, I'll bet those 30 mph gusts were FUN on the opener??? Although, today (Thursday) looks like it would've been PRIME!!!
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2003, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Saw lots of deer this opener...

I have three little ones all around me - ground hunting some new areas on the morning opener....

I hate to admitt it but I missed a 20 yard gimmie shot on a nice plum doe in the evening. I held in the middle and it was too high as she heard the bow and I shot right over her back - I was caught by suprise when she popped up and I have to say I did not excute the shot correctly!!!

Buck fever on a stinking baldy - a skin head - a doe - I'm gonna come totally unglued when something with bones on its head catches me off gaurd this year!

Oh well - sometime you eat the deer and sometimes they eat you!

It will be a long season and I cover 4 states - I'll have all my freezers full again before the end of it!

I'm going back out in 2 hours....we'll report back....
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2003, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was very happy with the deer activity on the opener. Despite the winds, the deer were pretty active. In the morning, I had a decent 8 pt. come in, but bed down about30 yards from my stand. Unfortunately I had to do a job in the morning so I couldn't wait him out. When I finally stood up he saw the moevement and decided to leave. He wasn't really spooked, but know something wasn't right. I got back to my area and heade back to my stand just after 3 pm. I decided to hunt a different stand due to the winds, this stand back in some nice timber. On the way in I bumped 3 does who were heading my way. I hurried on to my stand and and settled in. About 40 minutes before dark, two deer appeared heading right toward me, both bucks. I was standing at the time stretching the legs and had left the bow in it's holder. I super slowly turned and grabbed the bow, and then turned back super slowly. At this point I can only see one deer and he's about 25 yards out nibbling on some buds. He's a small 6 pt. and not a shooter. Iwas busy watching him when I heard a sound to my right. I assumed it was the second of the two original deer so I ddin;t even turn my head at first. Then I spot the second of the original two about 10 yards behing the little 6 pointer. I immediately turned my head toward the sound and spot a very nice 8 pt. heading down this old railroad bed that runs right by this stand. I spin around but he's already behing brush and never offered a shot. I turn back to the two small bucks and they were looking very nervous. I'm not sure if they saw me moving or if the big fellow freaked them out, but they both immediately turned and headed out toward a bean field and that was the last I saw of them. I had a deer camera in that area and the reason I had decided to hunt that stand is because all of the pictures I was getting of deer in that spot were during daylight hours. Most of the other cameras were only producing daytime pics of does and nightitme pics of bucks. When I got home I looked over those pics again and found that I had both a pic of the 8 pt. and one of the smaller bucks.
Here's one of the smaller bucks.

Here's the bigger buck, not huge but decent. Note that in the lower left hand corner is part of another deer. I wonder what that deer looks like? Big fellows usually run with deer of the same year class...Hmmm...
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2003, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had 2 does and fawn come by, and I was figiting with a Grunt call, and I had a 6 point come in, I am too waiting for the big one, so unless he comes I won't shoot anything this early, I can't wait for the rut!

I went out tonight, nothing, watched the other wildlife, so it was still enjoyable being in the woods!

Tubes, that is a respectable 8, I would not mind him, is that from Grundy County????

Otherwise, maybe with the rain tomorrow, it might be good, but I will be out this weekend, I am hitting my public land spots!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just wanted to post how it went.A buddie and I thought that we would try some public land this opener,and am glad that we did We work together and on breaks and lunch all we talk about is hunting and fishing.Anyhow I have never hunted public land here in the state, so I got on the states DNR website.It showed several places with many over a couple thousand acres and such.What we wanted to do is hunt an area far enough west of Chicago and far enough away from metro areas.We settled on one that borders the Rock river.My bud brought his jon boat and a bucket of large minnows and we both brought our fishing rods,just in case His jon boat has a turbo prop or jet?,so that he can navigate shallow waters for duck hunting and such.Anyhow we got out on the river around 5 am,it was about 30 degrease and the river was foggy,we had a tough time navigating but I had a GPS,and maps.The flood light hardly did us any good.We got beached a couple of times and luckily worked our way out.We finaly got to our spot.My bud decided to scout out a bit, and ground blind hunt,whereas I brought the stacking sticks and a treestand.After sweating my nads off and an half hour of set up I finaly settled in.With all that sweating the chill didn't take long to set in .I was only good for about 3 hours I didn't see or hear any deer at all but did get a glimpse of a turkey working down toward me.We both bought turkey tags cause we know this area has a large population.Anyhow the turkey never offered me the shot,and after turning into an ice cicle I thought that I would radio him and we could go wet a line,so we did.We caught lots of bass,but the highlight of the day was the 24lb,and 17lb flathead cats he caught and my measly little 6lb'r Sorry to drag it out,and I hope to have a archery harvest story this weekend Bill D>
Fishinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry about the double post earlier. I don;t know how that happened. what is weird is that Bronzeback had enought time in between to respond before the next post registered...weird, very weird. Anyway yes that is a Grundy county deer. The piece we are hunting is 440 acres of mixed hardwoods, river bottom, creek lines, agricultural fields and a 90 block of CRP grass. the result is a lot of nice deer that are hard to pattern without a LOT of preseason scouting. The cameras have really helped. For instance my opening morning stand probably won't be hunted for a week. When I do, I can check that camera and see what's going on and react accordingly. I'm really happy with the daytime buck movement this early. I've even found a small scrape already which is very unusual for that area that early. I like the fact that it's raining today. Nice scent wash for the areas I've hunted and I like to hunt in rain anyway. Hopefully tonight will produce. By the way, my buddy hunted that area last night and one of the six points came in but didn't offer a shot, but wasn't spooked. I think that little bucks days are numbered if he doesn't wise up quick. Now if I could only find a Big dumb deer instead of a little dumb deer....
Tubes77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tubes, did you obtain permission to hunt that land, or is it yours, I am trying to find places to hunt, but the landowners are not too keen on giving me permission, can you help me out?

I went out tonight, a lot of squirrels moving around, perfect wind for my favorite stand, but I had 3 does work around me, kept hearing them in the woods, but they were eating acorns!

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in