The perfect tree? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2003, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The perfect tree?

I really had not gotten fired up about hunting this year yet because the weather has been almost perfect for fall fishing and I really wanted to get in on the mythical "fall feeding frenzy." It looks like I may have missed the feeding frenzy again so last week I started looking for just the right spot for a couple of my tree stands.
I found what I thought was the perfect tree. It is a giant oak with plenty of limbs and leaves still hanging on to hide my big butt. The only problem with this tree was that it has a few poison ivy vines as big as my arms wrapped completely around the tree from bottom to top. All the poison ivy leaves had died and fallen off so I thought It would be worth the risk.
The "perfect tree" is a few yards off a main deer expressway with a dozen scrapes and 20-30 rubs within 100 yards of it. I spent a few hours on Thursday cutting the vines off and hanging a stand about 17 feet up. While hanging the stand, cutting shooting lanes and making plenty of noise I saw five small bucks and a beautiful 10 pointer chasing does through the woods. They really didn't pay me much attention at all. I hung a second stand on top of a ridge about 60 yards from the "perfect" tree as a back up.
I took off work early on Friday to hunt the "perfect tree." I was in the stand by 1:30. Not much activity until about 4:00pm then the parade of does began. 5 does walk down the trail and stop almost directly under my stand. Then at 4:30 three more does come down the trail with a decent 8 pointer dogging them with his tongue hanging out grunting and drooling like crazy. He's coming in pretty quick and I had to grunt at him twice to get him to stop. He stops 20 yards from me and offered me a perfect broadside shot. Everything was great until I pulled the trigger and watched the arrow stick in the ground directly under him. He turns around and quickly disappears up the ridge. Deer 1-Steve 0.
I returned Saturday morning with a buddy and of course I wanted to hunt the perfect tree. My buddy took the stand on the ridge. We were in the stands by 5:30. At 6:30 my buddy calls me on the radio and say's there are 3 deer coming my way from the creek bottom and the first one is a buck. It was a small 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer. The wind wasn't right for me and the small buck stayed 30 yards away in some brush and walked off after about 10 minutes. Then I saw a buck working his way up a rub line on the side of the ridge towards my buddy. I called him on the radio and told him to get ready. About 5 minutes later I heard him release the arrow and saw the buck scramble down the side of the ridge towards the creek. We waited about 20 minutes and started looking for blood.
We only found a few drops but they had plenty of bubbles in it and we knew the deer couldn't be too far away. Then we found a very big pool of blood where the deer had stopped running. We were standing there looking around when his deer came floating down the creek right by us.
We dragged him out of the creek and my buddy had his first buck with a bow. It was a 140 pound 1 1/2 year old 8 pointer. He had his first bow kill buck and I came home with a terrible case of poison ivy from the "perfect" tree. I'll probably use the back up stand for the rest of the year.
MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not trying to start something - just curious. Wouldn't using your walkie-talkie to communicate deer movement to your partner be ILLEGAL? It's my understanding that any use of electronic devices to gain an edge on your quaarry is not allowed and ILLEGAL in Illinois?
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2003, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Good Question?

Hey Fishart, good question, and many people I am sure have many interpretations of this regulation. I myself don't use a cell phone or family radio to relay info on deer or their location.

I have been known to use these to let other hunters know what stand I may be in, or to let another hunter know I am off stand with a deer down and could use some help.

I certainly think the use of these items can lead to safer hunting for some obvious reasons. I certainly won't go a stand without some way of contacting someone for help in an emergency! Things do happen in the fireld!

Interesting questions for a DNR officer on what is legal, and what is not on this one.

I look forward to a bunch of input on this one!

Happy and safe hunting to all!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

FishArt,
To my knowledge it's not illegal to use walkie talkies or cell phones when hunting. At least I couldnt find anything in the 2002-2003 Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations. I think the only electronic devices not allowed when deer hunting are electronic arrow tracking devices.
The DNR would be hard pressed to outlaw communication equipment in the field for safety reasons.
MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2003, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's cool - I always wondered...

What kind of walkie talkie do you have? I've always wanted to get a set but am leary about it ringing right when a 10 pointer is in range. Do they have vibrating walkie talkies for incoming calls now?
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2003, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Motorolla makes a viberator/ring raidio, but I doubt that will help you. remeber the old indian saying:
"If a pine needle falls in the forest, The Eagle will see it fall, the Bear will smell it, and the deer will hear it hit the ground."
fishstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2003, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I use the Motorola Talkabouts with the earpiece and clip on Mic when in the stand. In the woods they are good for about half a mile. On the water mine is good for a mile.
H2OSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in