ice fishing without a fish finder - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2003, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ice fishing without a fish finder

what is the best way to get into fish if you dont have any type of finder. I wanted one but could not afford it, needed gear more than i needed a fish finder(broke two of my ice fishing poles at the fishing pier at blackwell and lost all my jigs fishing for crappies in the spring as of oct 30 all i had for ice fishing was my shelter two tip ups and a auger. Spent about 180 dollarrs on new gear) Now that it is sinking in that my dad refuses to buy me a fish finder(says i have to get one with my own money) i have to come up with a plan to get into fish without one. Any help will be apreciated THANKS
egcthatsme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2003, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

ohh forgot to mention i fish mostly for left over trout at blackwell, i also fish for bluegills,crappie,walleye,bass,and perch. lakes i plan to fish are mostly blackwell(silver lake), busse, axehead, local ponds, montrose belmont harbors, herrick lake, wood dale grove, and beck lake.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Scout the water you plan on fishing before ice-up. They will hold on structure all the time so if you can find where they are holding now you will have a good idea where to start after ice-up. Also drill bunches of holes. I've seen where drilling a hole 2 foot away from the first one will produce fish while the original one wouldn't. Keep changing your lure depth, even if you have caught fish at a certian depth, crappies will stack up and I've read they will not strike down to a lure but they will strike up to a lure. Keep moving, if you don't get a strike in around a half an hour try a new spot.
Shadrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2003, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

eg If I had no electronics, I would look for the areas that had allready been drilled. If there is more than 3 or 4 holes in the area, someone has done the work for you. Otherwise it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2003, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

First thing I would look for would be a way to earn some extra
cash

I spent a couple years with no electronices ( the old clip on weight to check the depth) and had very limited sucess catching fish

Now that I have a Vex. it is the only way to ice fish to have any
luck.

jeffster
Old 11-20-2003, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jay

Default what about the old days

what did people do before the vexilars?they fished-maybe didnt catch fish all the time,but hey who does?get a map of those lakes and look for designated fish cribs and structue,fish will always be there,move around,pay attention to what the others on the lakes are doing.ask your local bait shops,pay attention to whats working for people on these boards.you see some of these guys with all the elaborate set-ups,the expensive rods ,the expensive shelters,gas augers,ect. ect.,but look at the guy who is sitting on a upside down bucket,with just the basics,who moves around and does some homework before he gets on the ice,99% of the time he is gonna have the most fish.i have all the elaborate stuff,and when i get on the ice with all that crap,i stay in one spot all day,cause who wants to move all that stuff all day long.on days when i want fish,im on the bucket,have to admit though that i always have the vexilar with me....
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2003, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I ice fish backwell sometimes and was there about two years ago and they had home made fish cribs on top of the ice all around the island
about 10 - 20 feet off the shore of the island, I think thats about 14-20 feet of water. Becareful by the island ice can be thin there. fish the weed channel.Hope this helps.

Rp
iceman670 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2003, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok now my dad says he would buy me either an vexilar fl8 SE or an Aqua Vu Z series for christmas. i cant decide which one to go for i am tempted to get the aquavu but am afraid the cable would spook the fish plus i am afraid of snagging the cable. i am leening more towards the vex since everyone out there uses them, but think that all it will pick up is weeds. Any help on which unit is best for ice fishing will be greatly apreciated. THANKS.

temps going down after sunday, but back in the 50s by thanksgiving
Old 11-22-2003, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

The vexilar will help you find and catch fish, the aquaview is more to watch the fishes reactions once you have found them. When I first started using the vexilar it took a few trips before I really got the hang of it. Now I wouldnt go ice fishing without it. So in the next month check out vexilar.com and do a web search on the vexilar for tips and tricks. Good luck
DaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2003, 12:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ditto DaFish's comments, go for the vex first. Actually i have a Zercom Colorpoint that works just as well. ( I'm not getting into a discussion here about the pros and cons of either or , everyone has they're own opinions) Once you have this tool at your disposal and get a feel for it as to decipher what the weeds and bottom structure is, you can see at what depth the fish are located in and adjust your lure presentation to them. My friend has both the Vex and the Aqua-vu, it's nice to see what kind of fish they are , but the Vu only sees 1 direction or level unless you adjust this everytime a fish comes into the cone angle of the Vex/Zerc.
Turkeyhunter10ga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in