What I hate bout fishin' shows - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What I hate bout fishin' shows

I was watching a fishing show tonight and I've seen this many times and it has always bothers me. They catch a fish, the guy is out of breath because he is so excited he's puffin. He holds up the fish and turns it around and talks to his fishing partner isn't this a greaty fish? How big you think he is? I'll bet he's at least 6 or 7 lbs don't you think? Did you see the way he hit that lure? boy this is a nice fish...blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda,and the whole time I'm there saying "yeh thats a nice fish get him in the water". Seems to me they keep them out of the water too long. I heard once on an old "Infisherman" show you should hold your breath when the fish is out of the water when you can't hold it anymore you should get them back in. I've seen it on their show too. They keep the fish out too long as far as I'm concerned. When I'm fishing unless it's for dinner I don't use a net, and I try to get the hook out with them in the water if I can. If they get off before their landed it's a long distance release but still a caught fish. I feel bad with the muskey tourneys I fish because the fish has to be verified. I've told the guy's I fish with if I do catch a winner and there isn't anyone around I'll take a picture next to my 50"ruler and get him back in the water as soon as possible and ask one of them to verify it without them being there. I know it's against the rules but I'd rather the fish live than me getting a trophy. Even though they are nice trophies. They give away a graphite reproduction for the big fish. Not that it's likely to happen but it's covered in case there is a stupid one around when I happen to throw a Suik on his nose. I'm done now I can sleep tonight.

Good Night.

I get up early.

Don't sleep much.

Cause I worry about stuff like this all night.

Anyways it bothers me.
Shadrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ya gotta good heart, Shadrapper.

I think I may have seen that show... Or one just like it.... I'm Yellin' at the T & V, "Put it in the water... PUT IT IN THE WATER" about twenty times before he finally let it go... And, I think then it was 'cause he was gettin' a cramp in his hand, not 'cause he cared about the resource.

Wife came running to see what the comotion was all about...

There have been threads on this subject before and you are absolutely, positutely correct... Get that fish back in as soon as possible, and don't just toss it overboard. Fish get a lactic acid buildup in their muscles just like we do, on overexertion, like gettin' dragged to some boat by us fool fishermen. Ya gotta put 'em in nice like, let 'em breathe that good oxygen to get over it a bit, then let 'em splash away to give another angler a shot at that thrill.

Another gripe is when they just grab the fish by the lower jaw and try to hold it horizontal with no support under the belly for their weight. Downright ignorant, but many do this on the T & V shows....

For shame
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2003, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I can`t stand all the name dropping during the shows. They tell you what bait there useing 150 times, the rods ,reels, resort that there staying at , the vechile they drove to get there, the color of there underwear well not quite that far but not far off. JUST SHUT UP AND CATCH FISH. When they have to fill the show with blah,blah, blah, there not catching anything. Fish On
bhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2003, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I hate all the same things, but I still like to watch (when I can't actually be fishing). What I really hate most is that I can never figure out when and where these shows are on. I used to be able to depend on Saturday mornings between about 9am and noon, but now all I can find at that time are shows about how to build your own monster truck, or how to landscape your mansion.

I have Wide Open West cable in Naperville (used to be Ameritech's cable system). Does anyone know when some of the good stuff is on (good stuff on TV - is that an oxymoron or what)?
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2003, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
They tell you what bait there useing 150 times, the rods ,reels, resort that there staying at , the vechile they drove to get there, the color of there underwear
yeah i hate that to, but the sponsers play a big part. i think midwest outdoors is the worst. at least in-fisherman, roland martin, and whoever, fish in different lakes, and are not always with the same people. midwest outdoors, is ALWAYS fishing using a voyeageir (sp) house boat, on rainy lake, eagle lake, that same crap over and over.

Quote:
What I really hate most is that I can never figure out when and where these shows are on. I used to be able to depend on Saturday mornings between about 9am and noon, but now all I can find at that time are shows about how to build your own monster truck, or how to landscape your mansion.
fishing shows have a "season" just like everything else. right now you'll see more hunting shows then fishing. the fishing shows kick in full time in january.
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree with Zonker, It drives me crazy when I see a fish held up for the camera horizontaly by the jaw for all to see. Now let the fish go with a broken JAW, and these guys should know better.
bottemBouncer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

if they actually were hurting the fish, do you thing they'd hold'em that way? c'mon.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default what i hate about fishing shows..

I agree, hold the fish better, and get it back in the water!

i would also love to see these guys fish the highly pressured
lakes we fish, like the chain, with the sea nats buzz'n by, the boats pull'n three skiers or tubes, not to mention the 30' ten zillion horse power
cigar boat's! whenever you catch a show. if you see 2 other boats around
thats heavy traffic !! i would love to see them drifting for walleye
on lake marie right in the middle of the lake highway! or work'n
the channels for bass, with what must look like a boat parade going
on behind you while your flipipng or skipping lures under docks,
i would give them 10 minutes and they would hang it up!
trackerfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think a few people have gotten an early case of cabin fever

Just go fishing already
Jig'nMinnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2003, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

these guys know how to treat the fish, their living depends on putting healty bass back in the lake.

Quote:
i would also love to see these guys fish the highly pressured
lakes we fish, like the chain, with the sea nats buzz'n by, the boats pull'n three skiers or tubes,
yeah i agree, guys like bill dance make me sick, he fishes in private ponds most of the time, never mentions the body of water he's fishing, etc. but most of these guys are pro's for a reason. they can come into your home body of water and disect a lake like it's nobodys business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in