Shimano Stradic / Extreme XPS Rod Combo - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shimano Stradic / Extreme XPS Rod Combo

I've heard good things about the stradic and it looks like a good deal (see link) but I don't want to make the long trip up there and not like the rod. Anyone pick this combo up or see it?

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/ca ... get=browse
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default My two cents

I have the combo with the 4000 and a medium heavy rod that I use for casting bucktails,sluggo's. I have gotten several large pike on the combo and would recommend it at that price. If you go to the store they will probably wind both spools free.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2003, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I hate to say this but Extremes are nice rods but I have a few friends who had minor problems> like reel tighter always unscrews> this in my opinion makes it a bit cheaply made. Stradics are top of the line reels in my opinion. I have 2 and love them, when I use them. My limit on rods and reels is $100 so these fell into my range. Who cares I have a ton of rods and reels, they all go about $100 or less. I just hate how BPS steps on the litrtle guy who comes up with a good bait or idea. They copy it and sell it under the Bass Pro name..But their selection and prices are great especially selection before a big trip. R
basscaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

it's worth it just for the reel, the reel retail for $119, by itself. i have a 6'6" medium and i really like it.
jraap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

I look at it the same way as jaap, its a good reel for that price + you get a rod. The 2 rod I have gotten are both 7' med/light but they are more on the med weight, but not a bad rod. I like that the hendle is thiker than most rods. I have one that I snapped the tip off in the tailgate. Took it back the BPS and they gave me a new rod with out having the recipt

The Little King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2003, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have 5 Stradics well worth every penny. They will last for years. I have an Aero Stradic 1000 and for the past six years it still performs as new.
Illiinois Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2003, 12:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default shimano stradic/extreme xps combo

Have a Shimano Stradic 5000, with an Extreme XPS 7' MH Rod. Great Combo. Sold for $239.00; bought it at Bass Pro for $149.00.

It's a great reel/rod in my opinion.

As for Bass Pro buying out the little guy, that's capitalism, and that's the way it works. I don't like to see that happen, but we ain't gonna stop it. One thing you can say for Bass Pro, they will stand behind what they sell. I returned a rod that just snapped in half and no questions asked, they gave me a new one. This was a combo rod/reel, and all they had to do was replace the rod, but they said go ahead and take a new reel as well. No hassle, no questions how it broke, nor anything else.

That is good customer service.

Would buy another Stradic in a heartbeat, and Extreme rod.

Flyfisher
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2003, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default shimano stradic/extreme xps combo

Have a Shimano Stradic 5000, with an Extreme XPS 7' MH Rod. Great Combo. Sold for $239.00; bought it at Bass Pro for $149.00.

It's a great reel/rod in my opinion.

As for Bass Pro buying out the little guy, that's capitalism, and that's the way it works. I don't like to see that happen, but we ain't gonna stop it. One thing you can say for Bass Pro, they will stand behind what they sell. I returned a rod that just snapped in half and no questions asked, they gave me a new one. This was a combo rod/reel, and all they had to do was replace the rod, but they said go ahead and take a new reel as well. No hassle, no questions how it broke, nor anything else.

That is good customer service.

Would buy another Stradic in a heartbeat, and Extreme rod.

Flyfisher
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2003, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

I Agree with you on the customer service at BPS. Even if an item is out of warrenty they will usually do something to keep you happy. It's rare you can go to store that size and still get good customer service. I've gone to one of the local shops and it seems like they think they are doing me a great favor by showing me a few reels or answering a few questions.

Anyways, thanks for the reviews on the stradics guys I picked one up with a 7' one piece rod. Free shipping too WOOT!
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in