Do you?? - Page 2 - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

the eelpout are some of the nastiest looking fish i know of. they are VERY slimy but they hit like a freight train and alot of fun, they run up to 20 lbs. no need for tip-ups here all fish came of a jigging rod and a buck shot rattle in gold color with a minnow head or a plain 1/4 oz jig and minnow. nothing fancy needed 6lb test on a spinning reel and a ice rod, in the house it was nice and toastey no line freezing. the worst part of the trip was trying to cook sausage and eggs while the fish were biting. wesman i sent you a pm.
bottom bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

About 5 years ago I was fishing the channel between Lake Marie and Bluff when I caught this ugly thing and could only guess it was a dog fish. Now that I look at this eelpout, I think thats what I caught. It was about two foot long and looked real slimy. It also had a blueish tint around the head and eye's. I released it not even really knowing what I caught. Is it possible that this was a Eelpout? 40 years on the chain and I never saw one before or since.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Its possible you caught an eelpout (or burbot) in the Chain, but its more likely that you caught a bowfin. Did it have an "eyespot" near the tail? If so, then that's a bowfin. I think they are more common in this area. However, I have seen baby burbot mixed in with fathead minnows from a local baitshop, so they could be accidentally introduced by releasing bait.
The Gonger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Can't remember any eyespot but it was a few years ago. I basically forgot all about this creepy thing until I saw the eelspout picture. Now that I have looked up other pictures of this fish, I'm pretty sure thats what it was.
JDSPINNERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2003, 09:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default dogfish

An ugly prehistoric looking fish for sure but catching them can be easy and they are predators that eat more desirable species. I can't see just tossing them on the banks so have always released them but now that I know they are fresh water ling cod I may just have to renew my aquaintance.

My first one was at at place near Savanaugh on a Missisippi backwater. My Dad and brother and I made a yearly trip there and caught hundreds of bluegill and crappie. It was called Jacobs place, he owned the Phillips 66 gas station in town and all the land around the back water. He would put a dirt dam across the backwater in the spring and grates on the culverts. The fish were trapped and attracted to the current of the culvert. don't know if it's still there but would go back if so. Sometimes we'd go after a few cats. I had a slip sinker rig out with a minnow and the rod took off toward the water. I ran and got it and it was by far the biggest fish I'd ever had on though I didn't know what it was. Fought like heck and as I got it near my feet and started to drag it up the bank it opened it's mouth and it looked like a bunch of small spikey teeth and as if it was trying to bite me. I was maybe 6 or 7 and I dropped the rod and ran. By brother dragged it up and we were first introduced to a dogfish. Probably about 8 pounds. I didn't want to go near it and we gave it so some ladies who were drinking and carp fishing near us. They seemed happy.

I've since caught quiete a few bowfin and here's a tip. I've a spot, won't reveal it, where they stack up in the early spring. It's a culvert under a road on a river. They bite readily on spinners and minnows and the action can be fast and furious during the day. I'm going to bring my camp stove and some butter and check this out for myself next spring. jb
Jerry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2003, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

I caught a bunch of those just north of Minneapolis over the past few years. They creep me out. When you try to unhook them they bend and twist around your hand. Every one that we caught was during the late night hours, never during the day.
ShAk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in