Fishing hot spots - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2003, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing hot spots

I was listening to the "The Outdoors Experience" radio show this morning, and they had 2003's bass champion on. Out of all that was talked about, one thing stuck with me - "fishing the moment".

A lot of posts ask about where to fish on a particular body of water, but they don't always ask the other "W" questions. These are questions you should try to answer at the time you catch a fish. You should "fish the moment".

Why did the fish hit my lure; why was the fish in that spot: what was my lure speed, direction, color, size; what was the weather, wind speed and direction; where is the sun, did it affect where the fish was; many other question also.

Over the years of fishing Busse Woods I've learned that fish are in a lot of places all over the lake, all the time, but they don't take what I offer most of the time. I've caught fish where I didn't expect to because I threw a lure as I was passing through. I've caught nothing on spots that I know contain fish most of the time, only to throw a last cast with a totally different lure, or from a totally different direction, and catch a fish.

Once you answer all the questions you can think of, for the spot you are in, put them in a log book. That is your "hot spot". That is the main point of all this. Log your day, even if you catch nothing but sun rays. Then you have something to compare against on another day when you do catch a fish in the same spot, or on the same day in another year with different weather conditions.

I rarely get skunked on Busse anymore because of what I've been able to learn by going back through my logs to find patterns of similar conditions. I've developed my "hot spots" by "fishing the moment".

I still don't know very much, because the larger fish elude me, but I know they hang out where smaller fish go.

"Book 'em Dano"
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2003, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ed
Administrator

Very well put.
Following what Larry has said definitely will (help) lead to success.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

i'v had a log book going for almost 11 years now on every where i go every thing you said is on the money, but i include the moon phase i have found better fishing 4 days prior to and after a full moon. but that's not scientific evidence being i'm only a weekend warrior
bottom bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know that I do better with sw warm winds . but I also know that where ive hit them before they will hit again. Sometimes for fun I follow schools of bass around small lakes , they are only 1-2 lbs but with an ultra light and 6 lb test it sure can make for a fun trip. This last summer I tried something Ive never done, I went night fishing for bass with awesome results. I did most of it on nights near or on the full moons , but I just think its a matter of them having more light at night to feed. I dunno . But yes I agree I do better during full moon and I log most of my trips with a digital camera . :wink:
bassmastr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

If I could fish more often, and had a choice of when I could go, I would probably include moon phase. I know moon phase, just like barometric conditions, can affect catching results. If I were going on a vacation fishing trip, I would plan it for a better moon phase period. I accept moon phase and barometric pressure as known parameters and just fish harder in better periods.

Since I fish every Saturday or Sunday morning during soft water, I take what the conditions give me, but I do pay extreme attention to the weather for 2 or 3 days prior to the fishing day. That has helped me a lot this year, when it seemed I was constantly fishing the day after a storm. In spite of tough conditions, I caught more fish this year than in the previous few. Knowing what the weather was and what it should be the day I'm going has help me think about the lures I tie on my rods for the day, and where I plan to fish first.

bassmastr,
I agree with you about the SW winds, and not just warm ones. But most SW winds will be the warmest for the seaon you are in.

Quote:
where ive hit them before they will hit again
This is a point I've made before too, and that's where "fishing the moment" comes in. Most likely, we catch active fish in the same spots over and over again. Catching them when they don't seem to be there (tough conditions) is where a log really pays off. It helps keep track of the special things you had to do on a tough day to find fish.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in