Will 10 wooded acres support a decent deer outing? - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will 10 wooded acres support a decent deer outing?

Knowing location, location and location is all important, would 10 wooded acres support a decent hunt for deer or turkey? Granted this is out west, near iowa. Some folks then to think 10 acres is kinda small. I have no conceptual idea of how large it is. Of course, 20 is better and 100 is best.

So, how big is 10 acres? Is it 1/2 a city block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2003, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

An acre is 4,840 square yards. (according to websters)
greenhead01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2003, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Depends on whats around the 10 acres. One of the propertys I hunt is only 5 acres but it's almost completly surrounded by a couple thousand acres of forest preserve. And besides me there is very little hunting pressure. So it's a prime spot.
H2OSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2003, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, 10 acres won't "support" deer hunting if there is nothing around it. However, if like H2O said, you have good cover or travel routes around it you could hunt it. One of the places I used to hunt was only 8 acres with about 1/4 of that lawn and I saw deer all the time. If you plan on hunting it a lot though you need to be careful about scent because you could easily "spook" the deer out of the area.
trent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2003, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have hunted smaller areas than thaytw before! But the idea being that you know the area. If it is a deer haven (like a sanctuary) then I would say heck yeah, but if it is an area that is not used much by deer then screw it! Also you want to control the amount of pressure you put on the area, if you hunt it often the deer will figure it out, make sure you taake all the neccesay precautions before hunting!
Bronzeback Assasin03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in