Lake Bloomington almost last ice report, maybe.... - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake Bloomington almost last ice report, maybe....

I hit the lake last two days in the usual spots with the usual crowd.
Only real difference is the white marmazookas and the fat boys.
Joe let me borrow some gulp bait, I can't catch fish with bait this year.
I may need a 12 step program to learn how before the bait shops go out of biz. 3-4 real nice crappie today. Few more caught yesterday.
Hope to get out there some more but its 48 degrees here.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

That ice was taking a beatin' on Sunday. We got some nice ones on day 2, we threw back anything under 9. I got into the bigger ones about 11:00. Before that I caught the same 7" crappie about 25 times. Those guys that drilled around you and then around us were keeping everything they caught. They had small gills and didn't seem too worried about the 8" size limit. I was stunned to see a pile of 4" to 6" crappie on the ice. They only had one true keeper in the bunch.
mrszewczyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2004, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well we were lucky this year in that a lot of the dumbies that came out last year never showed up this year. Gabbie the poacher from west of peoria, saw him a couple times in spring in boat last year, no show on ice this year.
And who could forget the giant spud bar guy hope he ran that puppy through his foot.
Most of the old farts I think didn't like the fact the fish were not bunched in their traditional spot early. The fish never were there really.
I heard Dawson was getting all of the pressure.

90% of my fish were caught baitless. I brought home only about 24 all season. One yellow bass last day??? greenies last couple days. no gills to speak of. Too bad I didn't hook that uboat drum I saw, looked 3 feet long passing through. I got more than enough equipment now. Well still thinking Jiffy ice auger.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default over?

Well guys just in case I dont make it down any more this ice season would just like to say thanks for the good reports . Mrszewczyk it was nice meeting you and Blu thanks for another year of company, tips and finding things I lost. And thanks to everyone else I met down there ( Joe? I think was his name) Now its time to organize and clean the hard water tackle and get the Ranger ready for some Lake B bass,crappie and eyes. Unless I see you guys on the open water I'll see you next year on the ice. Blu get all the details ironed out for your derby and I'll drill the holes................see ya fellas FOOMAN
fooman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2004, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

hey foo somebody pointed out the rockpile to me. next year we hike further out in front of mansion under construction. place for the walleyes to hang out.
organize and clean?? I got spillway fishing to do. Maybe the cleaning lady can do that. you missed the greenie attack this weekend. drop me a line maybe we can swap boat rides there during week.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lake B was quiet this year. That far point was abandoned early. I caught many fish, mostly smaller ones. Did manage quite a few decent ones and finished up on a good note. I never caught one greenie that last weekend. I did manage a few early on, they loved the fatboy and the tetr-totr jigs. I think it was a 50/50 split with baited jigs and naked jigs for me this year. Gills were limited, but I never really fished shallow, pretty much 12.5 ft was the magic number for me. Moby Dick is still out there with my chartreuse tetr-totr in his lip, and the fight of a 4lb bass and the skill of getting him thru that 5" hole will not be forgotten. I fished out there on that rock pile last year, but couldn't get a bite. It was nice to meet you too fooman and thanks for all the info blu. I am holding out hope for one more weekend, maybe Shabbona or Kakusha. My committments with youth sports limit my spring, summer, and fall fishingn so goodluck on the open water.

...Speaking of finding things, I found what might be weed worms??? in a film container with a dime on sunday. Yours blu?
mrszewczyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2004, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

oops lost redfeather's worms. well enjoy they are better than waxies.

Old 03-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default LAKE BLOOMINGTON

I USED TO FISH THAT LAKE BY THE SPILLWAY WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE DOWN THERE 15 YEARS AGO. USED TO KILL THE CARP WITH CORN WHEN WE DIDNT HAVE ANY MONEY TO BUY MINNOWS FOR CRAPPIES. DO YOU GUYS STILL GET BIG WHITE BASS IN THE SPILLWAY NEXT TO THE DAM? HOW ABOUT THE CRAPPIES? WE USED TO NAIL THEM IN THE TREES OFF OF THE SHORE.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in