Pike Busters fishing club/Spoonplugging - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pike Busters fishing club/Spoonplugging

I was in Florida this last week visiting my grandfather, and he told me of a fishing club that he was a founding member of, PIKE BUSTERS, I was wondering if any of you where in this club, heard of it, and if it still exsisted? Also he gave me a lot of old literature, on spoonplugging, Until this point i have never heard of it, but now i own a tackle box full of spoonplugs, and he said he used to swear by it. If anyone has used these lures before, and can tell me a little info on them that would be greatly appreciated. Also didn't get off shore, swells were to big, but mananged a few fish off the pier, and got about a dozen pompano, a few reds, and a bunch of whiting. Thanks for any info. MOPS
mops7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Spoonplugs are strictly for trolling, I think. I have a Walleye In-sider from the mid 90's that had an article on spoon plugs. It talked about trolling them, and using them as "contact" lures. By this they ment bouncing them off of anything that got in their way, rocks, weeds, wood, ect. I wish I could give you the exact article, but the magizene is sitting on my bookshelf back in New Lenox, and I won't be back there till May. I would venture say that this is a "lost art". I have never personally used them, but feel that this could be an effective pattern seeing as that many fish have never seen anything of the sort.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default pikebusters/spoonplugging

Spoonpluggs can be cast as well as trolled. Check out the Nationa Spoonpluggers of America via www.americaoutdoors.com/spoonpluggers
Or do a search for Buck Perry. I am a spoonplugger in training and rodb builder.
Maze
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Pike Busters

mops7,
I just sent you a PM regarding this post. I'm part of a group called Pike Busters. It's very possible it is the very same group (given the Chicagoland proximity) that your grandfather was a founding member of. Hopefully you see this, it would be super cool to give you some more history on the group (even though, I'm one of the young bucks.)

Best Regards,

Justin
pikebuster11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think some of us are showing our age (lol). As Maze touched upon, Buck Perry (once considered the greatest fisherman by many) wrote a whole book on Spoon-plugging. Spoonplugs were his "go-to" lure back in the day before the newfangled lures started catching fishermen and not fish - lol! Perry almost exclusively trolled them but they can be cast. Basically, they were able to get down to the deeper depths due to their weight and shape and you still had pretty good control and feel. I tried them when I was younger but the lake I fished on as a kid was too weedy for them. They sorta performed like Crankbaits minus the big lip. They did get easily hung up though (vs today's crankbaits) and most didn't have a very long lifespan. The few I had got stolen when a tackle box of mine got stolen back in the early 70's. Never heard of Pike Busters. But then again, we didn't have the internet nor an easy way to communicate locally back then...
815-744-1380
Mount Album: https://www.chicagolandfishing.com/fo...y-fishart.html
>>Check out our new website!!!!<<
http://WWW.FishSpecialties.NET
FishArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

We Pike Busters are legends in our own circle!
pikebuster11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2018, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I read Buck Perry once caught 20+ (23 I think) largemouth on consecutive casts in the Fox Chain after trolling to find a school. Years ago, I took some spoonplugging classes from a guy. It's great reading and really helped my thought process while fishing. Even if not spoonpluggung.

Buck sez...
Taterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Some years ago, there was a fishing show on TV, and one of the guys they showed was some guy named Paul Prorock, I think. He trolled spoonplugs a bunch and did very well on them catching Northerns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in