Fox weekend - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fox weekend

Fished the North Elgin dam area down to the first bridge - Sat Night, Sun Night, threw out the smartcast fish up the bazoo. Not one bite tried worms, minnows, lures. I have fished the dam area numerous times nad end up skunked 99% of the time. The fish are there, it must be me, any suggestions.

Rover87
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default flooded dams

My last post came from sunday night in south elgin, but it should work anywhere theres a dam. I find the spots closest to the dam (that are still safe), on either side, where theres a big swirling boiling mess of water not really moving down stream too fast and cast in smallish hook with whatever bait your using and only a split shot for weight, it will roll and slosh around in the eddy and be easy pickens for any fish that are there. I have tried using big weights to hold it down but end up with more snags then fish, the split shot seems to just get pushed over snags, and with about an hour of so fishing this way I landed ten fish in an hour without a single snag. The largest Cat I caught was maybe only 2 pounds but it sure was fun.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rover,
Not Bob is right on. Though not snagless you will find this method to reduce them a ton. When the river is this high it will work in just about every eddie you can find. When the river is clear and normal, you will catch multiple species this way.
I prefer to pitch 1.5" southern pro tube on a 1/16oz jig tipped with a minnow. I keep casting up river to find the entry into the eddie and let it swirl around barely reeling in. If you hit it right you sometimes can watch your line swirl for a minute or two.
If you have waders, when the river is normal, i can show you a few eddies, if they are still there that is. peace--seerad
EYE for an EYE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2004, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, I was fishing down by the first bridge and could not keep the bait near the fish, unfortunatly the fish were farther away from shore than was reachable with the end of the pole, any suggestions?
Thanks

Rover87
Old 06-03-2004, 04:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry to say chief, but, lose the smartcast.
Learn how to fish the river by reading the water and looking for likely fish holding areas.
With the water up high, the fish will be extremely close to shore to stay out of the main current.
If you know what an eddy looks like, learn to fish those effectively with the techniques the other guys just mentioned and the possiblities are endless.
Lighter the better, it makes the bait move more natural in the current.

Also, Ed, that runs this here site, is a Fox River Guide, book a trip if you want to master river fishing
Old 06-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Thanks

I love my smartcast, it showed the fish perfectly. The river current kept taking my bait downstream faster than the fish could realize it was food. I would like to take you up on your offer though. Thanks to everyone for information.

Rover87

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in