Natural fishing areas available to Chi from Public Transport - Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports
» CLF Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Natural fishing areas available to Chi from Public Transport

Hi all!

I recently moved from Michigan (in and our of the Detroit area), where I could bike ten minutes in numerous directions from a couple of my apartments and run into three or four lakes with little to no effort and great shore fishing opportunities.

Since I came to Chicago I have done nothing but work and grind, and I really miss the great opportunities to get out, relax, enjoy nature, and fish. Also, I have no car and no boat, so I have a serious handicap in some respects.

I have seen some great information on fishing opportunities IN the city via the lake and river, and would welcome and appreciate any good info or tips. What I am trying to find out however, are if there are any quiet spots where one can commune with nature more and relax that are accessable by public transportation and a bike.

I have heard some talk about skokie lagoons and busse lake, but I do not know if these spots are accessable in this manner, or if they present any good shore fishing opportunities.

SO, sorry for being so long winded. This is a great forum and I am very glad to have found it. If anyone has ANY suggestions they would be much appreciated. Thanks to all who read or reply to this post. Happy Fishing!

~ dave
dbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dave Welcome..

I would recommend checking out the Urban Waterways forum on the board.. Any location issues can usually be taken care of either using the search function at the top of the board. Or use Google and type in "Waukegan Harbor" or what have you..
jsummers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2004, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
JB

Hey dbit, just wondering where you are currently living....I know there are several website surfers here that could point you in the right direction, say if you lived on the Northside. This is certainly a consideration if you are going to bike.
For instance, Busse is probably 10-15 miles from downtown Chitown, definately a hall with gear and such. Anyway, hope you find some specific info on this site to help your cause. Definately use the search button along the top toolbar. Welcome to CLF. JB.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice JB. I reside in Ukranian Village (Wicker Park/ Bucktown) area for the time being. I have definately caught the tip to use the Search function above, and am excited to check it out. I'm also just on such limited time to even investigate the possibilities, let alone schedule some time to go out!

I am loving this site though. Everything the urban fisherman in Chicago needs in terms of info/community!

d
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Dude... you're 10 minutes from Lake Michigan... Straight East on Chicago Avenue gets you to Oak Street... Straight East on North Avenue gets you to North Avenue Beach Horseshoe and the South end of Fullerton AvenueLagoons(next to Lincoln Park Zoo)... Take the inner drive bus North to any of the Biggies like Montrose... Why travel hours to catch minnows when you can travel basically minutes and catch, potentially, giants...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg
ja-knee-sea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

I hope so, once I find a few hours! what I meant to portray from my post was that while I still haven't been out to the city hotspots, I'm looking for places where I can get away from the hustle n bustle, traffic, noise, etc.. and enjoy natural surroundings as well as some semi successful fishing.

But thanks for the advice! Again, I did ask for this urban fishing advice as well as some serious advice on natural getaways outside the Chicago hustle n bustle.

I love catching great fish, but I also love being out in nature, not hearing cars, and having my mind disappear into the background while working a rod n reel!

Happy fishing! ~

d
Old 09-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
JC

The Kings are starting to come in at Montrose! Get the big one now & commune with nature later in the month.

Ever caught a 14+ lb Salmon? It's a thrill - JC
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

what to use? I only have one setup right now, a baitcasting rig and tackle for bass, pike, etc..

d
Old 09-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

once the salmon start running in the harbors of chicago it's hard to believe your eyes. these are real fish. belmont and montrose are the harbors i frequent. there are even some good bass in belmont. other spots, well if you look on a map of the city there are a number of parks with pools of water. some they just stocked with cats. spring and fall they stock trout in some. to get to busse lake you'll take the blue line to howard then jump on a pace bus to the woodfield mall. from there its a short walk. go to a cta station and get a map. some of the lakes suck others are ok.
lunbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicago Illinois Fishing Forum, Information & Reports forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in